My Russian Tortoise won't eaten ! Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
we need more info.. is it warm enough> have you had it long? how old and what are you trying to feed it?

russiantortuga

5 Year Member
Yes I have the temperature at 72°, I've had him for over a month. I haven't determined his age. I'm trying to feed him head lettuce

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Temperature: Temperature is critical for a healthy tortoise. The pen should have a cool end with the temps in the low 70's and a basking spot at 90-95°F. Night time temperature drops are needed. Mine do well with temps that drop down into the 60's at night. If they are kept too cool they can't digest their food. Too warm and they stop eating and aestivate (sort of like suspended animation).

http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

Just a good starting place, it outlines so much valuable info---however, the one thing I do not agree with is using sand as part of the mixed substrate....impaction risk is just not worth it to me....

72 degrees is too cool if you do not offer a basking spot and uva/uvb rays for his to access....

Head lettuce, do you mean iceberg lettuce?

WalterSulcata

10 Year Member!
I’m a newbie as well. So take what I say accordingly. I noticed my sulcata only eats if its around 85- 90 deg. Below that he just wants to sleep. Its like an on off switch. 90 and above, he will walk miles and eat anything. 82 deg. and he calls it a day..

russiantortuga

5 Year Member
Re: RE: My Russian Tortoise won't eaten ! Help

ascott said:
Temperature: Temperature is critical for a healthy tortoise. The pen should have a cool end with the temps in the low 70's and a basking spot at 90-95°F.

72 degrees is too cool if you do not offer a basking spot and uva/uvb rays for his to access....

Head lettuce, do you mean iceberg lettuce?
Thanks , I try not to feed it iceberg lettuce because I hear it offers no nutritional value

Status
Not open for further replies.