My Russian Tortoises ❤️

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Welcome back. Wow, you jumped into this tortoise thing with both feet :) read foots will need a lot more humidity than the Russians, so make sure the outdoor enclosure has lots of shade and lots of plants and moisture. Colorado is pretty darn dry but you can make it work. Just check out the care sheets and you'll find out what you need for that species. One thing I found out interesting about them is that they don't usually bask, so you don't need a mercury vapor bulb but you do need a UVB long fluorescent bulb. Now you can tell your husband he can help you build all the enclosures you're going to need :) :)

Janelle Green

Colorado
Welcome back. Wow, you jumped into this tortoise thing with both feet :) read foots will need a lot more humidity than the Russians, so make sure the outdoor enclosure has lots of shade and lots of plants and moisture. Colorado is pretty darn dry but you can make it work. Just check out the care sheets and you'll find out what you need for that species. One thing I found out interesting about them is that they don't usually bask, so you don't need a mercury vapor bulb but you do need a UVB long fluorescent bulb. Now you can tell your husband he can help you build all the enclosures you're going to need :) :)
Ya I got her enclosure humidity perfect now ☺️ Ya I'm at 4 tortoises haha good thing I have tons of space. I got her abunch of plants for her enclosures. I have both bulbs for her I just use the basking one for a little bit. I wonder if getting a humidifier and putting it in her room will help to. She's really sweet it's supposed to be his baby but I'm the one taking care of her of coarse lol. We're building half the back yard into outdoor tortoise enclosures in the spring. Right now I just have 3 small outdoor enclosures for the fall. She walks slow like she's this big giant it's hilarious

Janelle Green

Colorado
Good thing I'm a stay at home mom and have all the time to take care of them. I'm outside with them all day long it's my therapy so relaxing watching them outside

Janelle Green

Colorado
image.jpeg Food for the week for my Red Foot Tortoise. Green bell peppers . Spring mix . Mushrooms . Hard boiled egg . Black berries . Mango.. all organic from Sprouts Farmers Market ❤️

Janelle Green

Colorado
image.jpeg My husband got a piece of Plexi glass cut today to fit over top part of Foxys enclosure and now the humidity is at 86 and it's doing great she loves when the mister comes on sticks her head way out to get rained on. I just love her so much what a beautiful tortoise now I'm a huge red foot fan! ❤️Yes I use a 75 gal glass terrarium I went with glass for her to help with the humidity she does not bump into the glass at all. My Russians do but their in a tortoise table. I will have to upgrade in size I'm hoping it'll last 6months she's 5incches long

Janelle Green

Colorado
I have no tortoises! Hoping to get one eventually but just learning what I can for now. I just own two ball pythons.
Are you looking for a small species of tortoise or larger? They make amazing pets! I have 15 animals and their my favorite pet by far ❤️

Janelle Green

Colorado
My favorite picture of Foxy❤️She loves her little pool! Enjoying a warm fall day she's such a beautiful tortoise I couldn't be happier with the baby my husband got me ❤️image.jpeg

Janelle Green

Colorado
Definitely the smaller species like Russians.
Only get one if you do Russians they don't get along well with another or you would have to do a big tortoise table with 1 male 2+ females. I have 1 male and 2 females together and so far getting along great! I have a divider in middle of tortoise table and log hideout they go through to get to each side. If you get a Russian order online from tortoise supply backwater reptiles lls reptiles and get a captive bred baby. Adults you find in your local pet stores will be wild caught and can have parasites diseases. Plus babies are super cute! So fun to watch them grow and they grow slowly so tiny for awhile ❤️Russians are very easy to care for great for first tortoise and they have amazing personalities very hardy tortoises. Males are smaller than the females. I hope you get a baby soon!!

Janelle Green

Colorado
Got the humidity on point!I put a small water dish near plant to add humidity she also has a big water dish she can soak in I want to add more live plants tomorrow to help with keeping the humidity high. View attachment 190604

Janelle Green

Colorado
image.jpeg Foxy has 3 water dishes in her winter indoor enclosure. One small one and 2 big soaking pools. I'm going to add more live plants. Water dishes and live plants help with keeping the humidity high and red foots need a 70%+ humidity. I live in Colorado and it's very dry here so I'm using a 75 gallon glass terrarium to help keep humidity high. She's very small only 5inches when she gets bigger I will make a 6ftx6ft tortoise table they also will live outside spring-fall. Inside only on cold days and cold nights. ❤️ anyone looking to own a red foot in a dry climate state you still can do so! A lot of work but well worth it

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
Russians are definitely the way to go. Quite easy to look after (in comparison to others), cute and stay fairly small. As Janelle said, don't get two though. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477566363.279096.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477566384.779049.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477566402.648326.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477566415.763444.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477566437.166136.jpg

They are just a few of the pictures I have oh my Russian. I've only had her 1-2 months and already I have all of them photos, their personalities are just brilliant, (well I can't speak for them all, I've only had one). Good fun.

Janelle Green

Colorado
Russians are definitely the way to go. Quite easy to look after (in comparison to others), cute and stay fairly small. As Janelle said, don't get two though. View attachment 190618View attachment 190619View attachment 190620View attachment 190621View attachment 190622

They are just a few of the pictures I have oh my Russian. I've only had her 1-2 months and already I have all of them photos, their personalities are just brilliant, (well I can't speak for them all, I've only had one). Good fun.
Russians are great ! Full of tons of personality love my Russians so much ❤️Perfect size tortoise