My Russian torts top 10 favourite foods so far, what's yours?

el_mechacontext

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
It's not the easiest thing to do but if you can work up the courage to ask your neighbors, do it. My neighbors down the street have a wild grape that grows massively. They don't do anything to it and they are delighted to have me take some leaves.

It's probably the same for many hibiscus owners; they are so hardy (at least where I live) there isn't much need to use pesticides.

Since you're in a big city, you may have some other options near you in ethnic grocery stores. Do you have any hispanic, Asian or Persian markets nearby? Other cultures eat things we consider weeds.

These are great ideas, thank you! I do have some ethnic markets around me that would probably have better stuff than the chain grocery stores.

ScienceGeek

England
Hi,

My Hermann loves lambs lettuce and magnolia flowers with a fiery passion. She’s head down like someone let off a diet at a buffet - I don’t think she actually breathes while she’s eating. Second favourites are clover, pansy/viola flowers, plantain and dandelion.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
These are great ideas, thank you! I do have some ethnic markets around me that would probably have better stuff than the chain grocery stores.

@el_mechacontext, if you have time, look through the Chef’s Thread that’s pinned to the top of the diet section. There are quite a few posts in there from people (me included) who can shop and feed different foods than those commonly mentioned for new owners. Different Asian markets, Persian markets, farmers markets. In my area, Korean groceries offer the largest variety of tortoise friendly foods. There is a post in there about Korean markets specifically but it’s kind of hidden: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/a-trip-to-a-korean-market-picture-heavy.159825/.

Coraleaf0

Washinton
Mine loves nipplewort, apparently. I didn't even know it was edible for them until today he took a bite out of one and I went and identified it with an app.