My sister accidentally drop my 1 year old baby leopard tortoise

CaoAndMolar

Location (City and/or State)
not in america
My sister accidentally drop my 1 year old baby leopard tortoise thankfully my tortoise was still alive and no shell got cracked or anything but that was scary

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, that could be deadly. Hatchings or any tortoise really, need to be off limits to anyone that is not old enough, too frail or too scared to handle what might be a squirming sharp nailed animal.
Keep a close eye on the tort and be sure he is acting normal. Usually there is no damage, but we can only see the outside, not what might have happened on the inside, so paying close attention for a few days is needed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you carefully examine and touch the scutes right around the tail and tell if it's cracked and moves easily?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you for your help. That is what I saw.
I noticed the same thing as you and wellington. It's hard to figure out how dropping the tortoise could result in that type of injury, though, because those two anal scutes are so well protected by the carapace and marginal scutes.

Maybe the anal scutes are OK and they just look pushed in due to an optical illusion in the photo.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I noticed the same thing as you and wellington. It's hard to figure out how dropping the tortoise could result in that type of injury, though, because those two anal scutes are so well protected by the carapace and marginal scutes.

Maybe the anal scutes are OK and they just look pushed in due to an optical illusion in the photo.
This area i circled looks broken to me?
Screenshot_20240831-104116~2.png

Reactions: Ink

zovick

10 Year Member!
This area i circled looks broken to me?
View attachment 378311
Yes, I saw that and agree that it looks cracked, but I still can't figure out how simply dropping a tortoise could cause such a crack in that spot.

Those two anal scutes would have to have been the first point of contact which seems really unlikely from a drop.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I saw that and agree that it looks cracked, but I still can't figure out how simply dropping a tortoise could cause such a crack in that spot.

Those two anal scutes would have to have been the first point of contact which seems really unlikely from a drop.
I wonder if it was dropped on something other then a flat floor. It would have had to hit just right, but it obviously did for it to be cracked and then pushed in.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Yvonne G how do you suggest they try to heal this little one?
Have a vet remove the scutes?
Maybe have a vet try to glue where the crack is?
I think I would try the gluing first.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I wonder if it was dropped on something other then a flat floor. It would have had to hit just right, but it obviously did for it to be cracked and then pushed in.
That seems like it would be more than a one in TEN million chance of happening to me. Plus young tortoises like that are still a bit flexible at that age and I don't think a crack like that could occur from simply dropping one. I have dropped a few myself over the years and never had one's shell crack or even chip a marginal scute.

I am wondering if something worse may have happened, such as it was stepped on or otherwise traumatized somehow and the OP and/or sister just said it was dropped.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That seems like it would be more than a one in TEN million chance of happening to me. Plus young tortoises like that are still a bit flexible at that age and I don't think a crack like that could occur from simply dropping one. I have dropped a few myself over the years and never had one's shell crack or even chip a marginal scute.

I am wondering if something worse may have happened, such as it was stepped on or otherwise traumatized somehow and the OP and/or sister just said it was dropped.
I agree, it would be one in a million.
Hopefully the owner can give more details on what happened other then a drop. Maybe the sister did more then she is saying.