My small herd photos

aqualungs

Location (City and/or State)
Perry, OH
A while back I was pondering on whether to add two babies to make a group of 3 and maybe breed them when I get close to retirement as a hobby. For a bit I decided to keep Winston single, but after more reading forum threads and talking to some breeders, I decided to make a group.
Vicki from Tortoiseyard sent me 2 incubated female, 1 month old cherrys. Winston is now a little over 3 months and he could end up a boy or a girl. The girls hopefully so, arrived healthy and bold. I rearranged the enclosure so Winston would have to readjust along with the new girls. I work from home so they’re being constantly monitored. I also have a separate 2x4 enclosure just encase things don’t work out.
One female is quite a bit larger than both of them, and she has these cool red heels, and split scutes. someone said they resembled the yellow brick road. She is bright red and full of personality, so far we named her Dorothy aka Baby D. Not sure if they’re more bold as they get bigger, but she is just alive and seems to love voices. I just love her. She is the first one up in the morning bathing, drinking, and waiting for food.

Next we have Big Shirley. Who is small, but thinks she is big. She likes to teeter totter on food. She likes to burrow in and sleep outside the hides. IMG_2448.jpgIMG_2435.jpg
57833153071__F262A2B3-52EF-42D6-8ABA-053BCAD0C716.jpg
They all are doing great so far that I can tell. IMG_2349.jpg
IMG_2351.jpgIMG_2352.jpgIMG_2366.jpgIMG_2368.jpgIMG_2388.jpgIMG_2401.jpgIMG_2411.jpgIMG_2422.jpgIMG_2433.jpgIMG_2435.jpg
Any other advice would be great from those who have small herd. The enclosure 2x4 closed chamber and humidity is 90+ and temps at 86-87 degrees in the whole enclosure. Shade spots of course.
I started soaking them together everyday and feeding on separate plates. Sometimes in all on a large plate, and all feedings have been supervised at 11 am when I go on lunch. Lights are on at 7am. They’ve adjusted well and have been here for a weak already. Wow time flies!
View attachment 271746View attachment 271747
Baby pics that enticed my ordering them IMG_2285.jpgIMG_2286.jpgIMG_2288.jpgIMG_2293.jpg

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Man, those are PRETTY!!!

I used to talk with Vicky when I belonged to the Yahoo groups. She's a very nice person, keeps her tortoises is great habitats/yards, and really knows her stuff about tortoises!

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Man, those are PRETTY!!!

I used to talk with Vicky when I belonged to the Yahoo groups. She's a very nice person, keeps her tortoises is great habitats/yards, and really knows her stuff about tortoises!

She has been awesome and likes to keep in touch. Really awesome lady!
Already thinking up the next enclosure size and design. Hopefully can get a year out of this enclosure. :)

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
A while back I was pondering on whether to add two babies to make a group of 3 and maybe breed them when I get close to retirement as a hobby. For a bit I decided to keep Winston single, but after more reading forum threads and talking to some breeders, I decided to make a group.
Vicki from Tortoiseyard sent me 2 incubated female, 1 month old cherrys. Winston is now a little over 3 months and he could end up a boy or a girl. The girls hopefully so, arrived healthy and bold. I rearranged the enclosure so Winston would have to readjust along with the new girls. I work from home so they’re being constantly monitored. I also have a separate 2x4 enclosure just encase things don’t work out.
One female is quite a bit larger than both of them, and she has these cool red heels, and split scutes. someone said they resembled the yellow brick road. She is bright red and full of personality, so far we named her Dorothy aka Baby D. Not sure if they’re more bold as they get bigger, but she is just alive and seems to love voices. I just love her. She is the first one up in the morning bathing, drinking, and waiting for food.

Next we have Big Shirley. Who is small, but thinks she is big. She likes to teeter totter on food. She likes to burrow in and sleep outside the hides. View attachment 271702View attachment 271703
View attachment 271705
They all are doing great so far that I can tell. View attachment 271704
View attachment 271706View attachment 271707View attachment 271708View attachment 271709View attachment 271710View attachment 271711View attachment 271712View attachment 271714View attachment 271715View attachment 271716
Any other advice would be great from those who have small herd. The enclosure 2x4 closed chamber and humidity is 90+ and temps at 86-87 degrees in the whole enclosure. Shade spots of course.
I started soaking them together everyday and feeding on separate plates. Sometimes in all on a large plate, and all feedings have been supervised at 11 am when I go on lunch. Lights are on at 7am. They’ve adjusted well and have been here for a weak already. Wow time flies!
View attachment 271746View attachment 271747
Baby pics that enticed my ordering them View attachment 271739View attachment 271740View attachment 271741View attachment 271743
Wow the red is so vibrant and bright!!! They look amazing:)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello from a fellow Redfoot keeper from Florida.
Those are some particularly beautiful tortoises.
Redfoot tortoises are some of the calmest tortoises and you should have little issue while they are very small and with adequate room.
As they become sexually mature, you will run into issues if you end up with more than one Male, or with fewer than 3 females per male.
Herds of females I've never had issues with.
You might just end up with a larger small herd soon.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Hah! Right! Thanks for the compliments and help everyone. I did lose Louise a couple months back. She was fine, eating a lot, and the next day I founder sitting in the water bowl. She was having a hard time getting up and walking around. I thought maybe somehow she over heated or.. me and my wife Katie notice her head to shell ratio was off. Her head looked so petite for her shell size.. idk the day before she was scrambling trying to get out of her bath. I’d did best to take care of her and hydrate her but she passed early the next day.
I didn’t post for a while. I recently fell and hit my head on Memorial Day, my 5th concussion. Others were in my 20s and younger. I’m 41 now and this one nocked me stupid. I have been suffering from post concussion syndrome, so I have been having a hard time doing extra things. I’m a little slower at things now, but I’m doing good. My husbandry has been good and my other torts are doing well and growing nicely. Also my knee kept going out and my joints have been crazy painful. I have been walking with a cane. I went to get a 2nd opinion 4 years after seeing a rheumatologist, who said there was nothing wrong with me b/c I had no inflammation. Last Monday I was diagnosed with Joint Hypermobility, and it has taken me aback. She found it right away.. They did some blood tests and I should hear back today. I am guessing I have the hypermobility form of Ehlers Danlos, but they have to rule out other forms of it. Hoping the blood tests don’t flag anything else. I have been living with this joint paint since age 12, growing pains never went away, and I never thought anything of my double joints. I figured it was rheumatoid arthritis like my mom has, but I get no swelling in my joints and they are very “bendy” as the Dr said, but are very sore and painful. Fingers included.. my thumbs pop out of joint, and my shoulders, knees, and ribs subluxate. Anyhoo
My point is I have 2 torts now and need to make the decision of going to 1 or next spring getting a couple more female incubated yearlings. Baby D is female incubated (which nature can find ways to change..). Winston I’m not sure. I got him from Kenan and am prettier sure he was born outside. I’m hoping for all females. Their enclosure is 2x4 and am going to add a modular unit to add 4x4 or 4x6 extension. Drawing up pans. :)
The other decision is rehoming Baby D, which I love her so much I don’t want to do, but if my physical ailments get any worse 1 tort might be better. I cannot rehome of Winston, he’s my first and we just adore him. Baby D is no exception either, but if it’s for their benefit.
Meanwhile I work from home, watch them like hawks, and feed them in separate bowls. Have 2 hides, 2 water dishes. They seem to be fine for the time being, but when the times comes I will have to make a decision. I really like those “yellow” Redfoots.. [emoji3166] IMG_2897.JPGIMG_2908.JPGIMG_2937.JPG