My solarmeter reading for my Indian star hatchling

Casefresh

Location (City and/or State)
Calgary
Okay, so I’m getting a range of 1.7-2.5 UVI in my enclosure. Im using the T5 -10.0 intensity fluorescent bulb from zoo med. it’s on for 14hrs a day. I am pretty happy with this if I look at the Ferguson range for a tortoise. I will add to this by keeping them outside for a few hours in the summer per day. It’s cold here now and -1C overnight is average and 10C during the day.

What do you all think?

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
For a hatchling, I think that's fine. I run between 2.5 and 3 for my radiata hatchlings. As they get older / bigger, you might look for a reading around 4 or 5.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I like a reading a bit higher. More in the 3 - 3.5 range with plenty of shade options for a gradient. I use potted plants with lots of overhanging fronds for that. Even though there is a gradient in most enclosures as you get away from the UVB source, I like providing spots closer to the UV zone where they can cryptic bask as they would more naturally. Not only is the UVB useful for D3 production, but the UVA spectrum is extremely important in developing normal behaviors and rhythms.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think it is perfect for a lamp that is on all day, especially for a tortoise that will be outside and getting real, direct sun in the warmer months of each year.

A little more wouldn't be bad, and you could easily accomplish that by lowering the bulb a little bit more, if you are so inclined.