My son meeting his new friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyMMA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rhode Island
Some pics of my son being surprised with our new pet. He's been asking for a turtle and I have always wanted a tortoise so its a match made in heaven.

Attachments

• IMG_20120413_173339.jpg
    IMG_20120413_173339.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20120413_173427.jpg
    IMG_20120413_173427.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20120413_112217.jpg
    IMG_20120413_112217.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 97

MonkeyMMA

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
I wanted him to name her and I had a list of names picked out if he came up with a crazy one and he in 2 seconds says lets name her polka dot since she has them on her back and we can call her dot like the girl at my school

Katherine

5 Year Member
I wonder how his school friend will feel about having a namesake tortoise? Haha. It's good you are getting him involved early he should be perfectly manicure to be the sole caretaker in the distant future when you need to will them to someone ; )

MonkeyMMA

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
Yeah well I thought it through and I picked a pet that I intend to keep. If he looses interest or goes off to college she will always have a good home.

Everyone that has seen her has fallen in love with her in the event something happened to me people would be fighting to take her.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Good looking tortoise you have there!

It looks like you are teaching your child how to be fragile or something, ha.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thanks for sharing, pretty Cool- He might just grow up and be a crazy reptile person:D

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Very cute. My 10-year old son is the reason we have torts now. He begged me for nearly 2 years and finally wore me down. I do have to commend him though in that he did a lot of research before and he's done a pretty good job of caring for them since we've had them.

MonkeyMMA

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
My son is stills really young for that but he made a big effort to help me feed her and we went out and hunted some dandelions for her. I have a 8' x 8' play area I have set up for her exercise. Its great place to sit with her and spend time with her. Loves going in there and interacting with her. It's really comforting that she switched owners so well.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
thats a big russian... Im glad you are so involved in the caring for her and understand its for life...:)
I would keep the holding to a minimum.. petting and touching are fine, but picking up... they can squirm and get dropped so easily... cracks or internal injuries can occur..
Congrats!!!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
It is funny how kids do influence what we sometimes do. I had 2 russians at the time when I went to my first (and only!! Reptile expo) My son was about 6 and he was adement that we should buy this pyramided, large male Redfoot. I walked by him a few times and of course that was all the vendor person needed to see, the price kept going down and although I knew nothing, (even about russians, to be honest) When it got to 75.00 I said yes. best decision I ever made, he didn't get the idealsit of change of enviorments, for a few years, untill I got a computer, but he really started a love affair of torts. That was about 11 yrs ago and we have changed his life around completey and added a couple few others as well.
My son well even though he did start it, he hasn't really realized his love for torts quite just yet!!
But thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.