1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

My soon to hatch Tortoise’s Housing.

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosures' started by Northeast Reptiles, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Northeast Reptiles

Northeast Reptiles Member

Location (City and/or State):
    New Jersey
    I am currently incubating a Sulcata tortoise egg. I am only caring for him in the beginning however. His forever home is in Florida. I do plan to keep him a few months. He will be well started before he makes the trip. I am about to start construction on a tortoise table. It will be large, with sections for various turtles/tortoises. There will be 3 sections. The largest for a tortoise, and two slightly smaller for a three toed box turtle and a young eastern box turtle. My question is about sealing them. I want to be able to wet the substrate and achieve some humidity so i need a rot proof base. What type of sealant could i use? I know someone who uses plastic liners you can put in a litter box, but i’d like something more permanent that will not be harmful or toxic for box turtles/tortoises. The sulcata’s section will be home to an ibera greek in the future. Once the Sulcata has “moved out”. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    IMG_2990.jpg
  2. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Is this for hatchlings only or for them to mature in also? I ask because to house three tortoises/turtles it will have to be really really big and each section needs to be sealed from the next section.
    Your sulcata if it hatches needs to be in a closed chamber to raise it right before it goes to its new home.
  3. Northeast Reptiles

New Jersey
    The sections will be sealed completely apart. One for an adult three toed box(cold months only). One for a 2 year old eastern until it grows large enough to go into my outside enclosure. The rest of the enclosure will be for,lets say, an Ibera Greek into adulthood. I’m thinking his part will be around 3.5ft by 2ft.
  4. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    It should be 4x8 each for adulthood of a Greek and Box. Hatchlings for a short time 6 months, maybe a year in a 3.5x2
  5. Northeast Reptiles

New Jersey
    Thank you.
  6. crimson_lotus

crimson_lotus Well-Known Member

Massachusetts
    I use a pond liner in my enclosure. It's been 5 years and it's too thick for my tortoise to tear. Every 6 months I empty out the substrate and wash it down with vinegar.

I also bought Vermont Natural Coatings, for when I need to get a larger enclosure, but haven't used it yet. They assured me that the sealant is pet safe.

Another option is to possibly line the inside with PVC or insert a plastic tub.
    Northeast Reptiles likes this.