My Special Nepenthes × Ventrata

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
So I bought a few carnivorous plants specifically for my self contained tortoise set up a while back. But I have been suffering from some severe health problems, and now all of them have been killed off except for my beloved Nepenthes × Ventrata . I have recently been giving it some serious attention and trying to help him bounce back after so much neglect....Well I just noticed yesterday that he is finally pitchering, and has 2 new male leaves opening at the bottom. One is officially opened, and I tucked some crushed up bits of fish food flakes in to get that pitcher started ! At the leaf tips at the upper parts of the plant, tiny male pitchers can be seen forming!
Is it the temps? Light? Humidity?
Hmmmm....something is hitting perfect levels.
I marked its position hanging above Artemis's tortoise table for an ideal position..... its hanging just above one of the fake plants, so mabey that one is regulating its humidity......

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
After everything this plant has been capable of putting up with over the course of a year and servived, I would highly recommend this hybrid. Extremely tough! I'm still surprised "Alphred" is capable of still thriving in the Tortoise Cave at all....!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I'm able to keep this specific species alive because it's the toughest ( easiest!!!) Nepenthes that tortoise hobbyist can keep alive! Not some expert gardener, which I am definitely, definitely not. Carnivorous plant lovers probably would hate me.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Also, this nepenthes is hanging over my tortoises table, not sitting down inside it where Artemis can chew on it!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I personally am having to rededicate myself on nepenthes husbandry. I got it in 2019. I have not even thought about this plant in forever, but it's still holding on! I kind of assumed it was just about as dead as the other 2 that used to be next to it....
Feeding tip:
make a tiny pile of a crushed up fish food flake. Then use a moistened paint brush to put the food in the pitchers mouth!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Would a small LED plant light be bad to position over my torts table???? I have bbn one of these sitting around, but maybe I'll have to just except what it's getting from the red foots lighting....

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Here is what it would look like:
20200813_210518.jpg

Would that be bad for my tortoises eyes?