My spur thigh keeps burying himself!

twebb88

Is this normal? Will he be able to breath?

His setup is hemp Substrate and tortoise life med substrateImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477332211.280572.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi @twebb88 and a very warm welcome to the forum! :)

A tort is able to hold his/her breath for VERY VERY long, so do not worry. Your tort will need time to get used to a new place, enclosure, owner, etc: torts do NOT like change and take time to get used to it. :rolleyes:

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and care sheets. What species is your tort? Any pics of him/her?

Where do you live and what's the weather like now back there? Give your tort daily soaks in warm water and make sure he's warm enough. ;)

twebb88

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477333222.708459.jpg

He/she is a testudo graeco from turkey. I live in Guildford SURREY uk it's quite mild here however his/her viv is a constant 28/29°c and one end and 20/25°c another

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from Kent, UK. We've had our Greek for over 46 years :)

To answer your question, it's not unusual for tortoises to dig and hide away. Some do it more than others.

Next I need to direct you to information on care for your Greek

Please read the following:

Greek Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

I have a couple of immediate concerns about the enclosure which are addressed in the threads above. Your setup suggests that you have been given some outdated information about care.

1. Your substrate is too dry and is not suitable to hold moisture and create the humidity that is needed. Orchid bark or coco coir are much better

2. You have a red heat lamp. These aren't recommended as they colour decor red. Torts love red foods (even though fruits aren't good for them) and frequently try to eat tan decor and substrate coloured by the lights. You should use a plain reflector bulb for basking.

I will post in more detail about lighting next.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here's a lighting summary:

Your tort needs:

1. A basking lamp
This must hang vertically, not at an angle. Basking is essential to raise your tortoise's core temperature so it can digest food.

2. UVB light
Read the instructions for the source to see how close to the substrate it must be. UVB is essential so your tort can process dietary calcium and have healthy bones and shell.

Both 1 and 2 are available from the sun for those able to live outside.

UVB does not pass through glass or perspex(plexiglass) - light must be direct to be effective not through a window. Mesh screening can also interfere with UVB.

3. A minimum overnight temperature (see the care sheet for your species) and complete darkness at night to sleep.

Notes

(a) A Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) provides combined UVB and Basking. Alternatively you can use 2 bulbs: a tube UVB and a reflector bulb for basking (a household reflector - not low energy or halogen - from a hardware store will do the job; it's the wattage that counts)

(b) Ignore any references to UVA you may read - it's misleading marketing speak.

(c) Compact coil UVB harms tortoise eyes and must not be used.

(d) Basking and UVB should be on a timer so the light(s) are on for 12 hours a day. Temperature under the basking is regulated by its height above the substrate.

(e) Overnight, depending on your home, you may need additional heat. You get this from a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) which must be on a thermostat.

(f) Torts have outstanding colour vision and love red and purple food. Coloured heat lamps colour tank decor and torts don't always apply intelligence to what they eat, resulting them in eating tank decor. Coloured bulbs should not be used.

Measurements

There are 4 important temperatures that you must know for an indoor enclosure.
- Directly under the basking lamp
- Warm side
- Cool side
- Overnight Minimum

You will need digital thermometers for accuracy.

A temperature gun thermometer (inexpensive from Amazon) measures temperature accurately in specific places like directly under the basking lamp.

A min/max thermometer so you know the min/max temperatures in your home by day and night.

You should also get a good digital probe hygrometer to measure humidity.

Thermometers and hygrometer that stick to the side of the enclosure tend to be less accurate.

twebb88

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477335504.218945.jpg

I have 2 lights when for the day and one at night, I was advised todo this.

twebb88

I also have a uv bulb I mist the substrate every morning and evening

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
View attachment 190326

I have 2 lights when for the day and one at night, I was advised todo this.
Read my post above about lighting. You were advised incorrectly.
I also have a uv bulb I mist the substrate every morning and evening
Misting alone does not provide enough moisture. You need to be able to tip water into an earth like substrate and give it a good mix with your hands so it's evenly damp (not wet) This provides the basic humidity. Spraying helps to maintain it after that. Periodically you need to add more water to the substrate.

The hygrometer mentioned in my heat/light post is the only way of knowing humidity for sure, but the substrate you have will make it too low.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
View attachment 190324

He/she is a testudo graeco from turkey. I live in Guildford SURREY uk it's quite mild here however his/her viv is a constant 28/29°c and one end and 20/25°c another
An adorable little tort! GOD bless.

By the way, I have a Greek tort too. And I'm madly in love with him.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello and welcome from Kent, UK. We've had our Greek for over 46 years :)

To answer your question, it's not unusual for tortoises to dig and hide away. Some do it more than others.

Next I need to direct you to information on care for your Greek

Please read the following:

Greek Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

I have a couple of immediate concerns about the enclosure which are addressed in the threads above. Your setup suggests that you have been given some outdated information about care.

1. Your substrate is too dry and is not suitable to hold moisture and create the humidity that is needed. Orchid bark or coco coir are much better

2. You have a red heat lamp. These aren't recommended as they colour decor red. Torts love red foods (even though fruits aren't good for them) and frequently try to eat tan decor and substrate coloured by the lights. You should use a plain reflector bulb for basking.

I will post in more detail about lighting next.
Hi Linda.

Is 28-29 deg C warm enough for a tort? I believe not.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That's a perfect temp as long as the basking is between 95-100F or 35C per care sheet by Chris

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Generally yes. It needs to be 35C directly under the basking lamp though
During Winter, what would be the minimum temp that a tort living indoors would be able to put up with?

Thanks a lot your usual help.:D