My spur-thighed greek tort never hibernates!

Aya A.R

Location (City and/or State)
Cairo, Egypt
Hi guys,

So I've had this one greek tort for 3 winters now, and in Egypt it doesn't get freezing cold in winters I'm aware of that however we do get some very cold days in which the temp can drop at night to 3-5 C and in day sometimes 11-12 C, yet my tort never really hibernates for days. In some cold days he does sleep almost all day but he wakes up for at least 30 mins (can be hours) then sleeps again after moving around a little. And in average cold days (17-22 C at day - 10 C at night - give or take) those days he wakes up around 1-2 PM and walks around sometimes a lot and eats and sleeps at evening or night. Is this normal ? He is my 1st greek tort that's why I'm wondering. I used to have an Egyptian tort (Kleinmann's) and he used to hibernate in winter normally. Are greeks different in that department ?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
T. graeca are not like T. kleinmanni in this sense. Those average "cold" temps are simply not enough for a true hibernation. What you're experiencing is normal and it would be a good idea to monitor the animal's weight during the winter months to be sure it's not losing much. That kind of fluctuation in temperature can cause behavioral problems for the tortoise which can lead to weight loss and other issues.

Aya A.R

Cairo, Egypt
T. graeca are not like T. kleinmanni in this sense. Those average "cold" temps are simply not enough for a true hibernation. What you're experiencing is normal and it would be a good idea to monitor the animal's weight during the winter months to be sure it's not losing much. That kind of fluctuation in temperature can cause behavioral problems for the tortoise which can lead to weight loss and other issues.

Thank you for your reply :)
So what other behavioral problems could it cause ? I was embarrassed to ask, but he has been trying to "climb" (more like hump) walls and doors recently and I have no idea why is he doing that! And to avoid temperature fluctuation, you think I shouldn't put a heater in the room he sleeps in ? In cold days I turn it on for him and he seems quite comfy when I do. Also in winter I put fabric around his box to keep it more warm. I'm trying to keep him warm but him not hibernating made me think he could probably not be that cold in the first place. I once heard that hibernation was healthy for tortoises that's why I had to wonder and also if T.graecas don't hibernate in general so there's no health risk?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's just not cold enough for him to hibernate. Are you saying that he's in the house? Or are you saying that you bring him in at night? In order to keep him eating and not lose weight, you'll have to keep him warm. So a heater in his sleeping room sounds good to me.

Aya A.R

Cairo, Egypt
It's just not cold enough for him to hibernate. Are you saying that he's in the house? Or are you saying that you bring him in at night? In order to keep him eating and not lose weight, you'll have to keep him warm. So a heater in his sleeping room sounds good to me.

I don't let him out in winter. I'm quite protective when it comes to cold/chilly weather and my tort because I got him with a cold already and thank God, he was perfectly healed but I don't know much about his immune system as he wasn't mine since birth so I'm being careful just in case. So in winters he is usually inside, if the sun ever shines strong I'd let him out briefly, otherwise he is inside.