My star has both eyes swollen and the left one is more than the right one..

Kartik

My tort was well 3-4 days back..but suddenly I saw a little swelling in his eyes.I thought its okay..but the swelling is increasing especially in the left eye..he keeps rubbing his left eye..and has problem opening it..he was staying in sad but seeing the swollen eyes I have emptied the sand and kept him on newspaper sheets..I live in Agra,up..its quiet hot here..I feed him lady finger ,cucumber,tomatoe and sometimes hibiscus leaves and flower..I dont know what to do..I know if I go to the local tort seller..he's gona do terrible things..plz help me.ask whatever u want to ask..

Kartik

The swelling is more in left eye than right eye..sometimes I see him rubbing his left eye..I put him in water the swelling vanishes..I am confused..what's happening..

Turtleneck123

The swelling is more in left eye than right eye..sometimes I see him rubbing his left eye..I put him in water the swelling vanishes..I am confused..what's happening..
What are his temperatures? What substrate are you using? What kind of lamps?

Turtleneck123

My tort was well 3-4 days back..but suddenly I saw a little swelling in his eyes.I thought its okay..but the swelling is increasing especially in the left eye..he keeps rubbing his left eye..and has problem opening it..he was staying in sad but seeing the swollen eyes I have emptied the sand and kept him on newspaper sheets..I live in Agra,up..its quiet hot here..I feed him lady finger ,cucumber,tomatoe and sometimes hibiscus leaves and flower..I dont know what to do..I know if I go to the local tort seller..he's gona do terrible things..plz help me.ask whatever u want to ask..

What kind of tortoise?

You need more moisture in your substrate, coconut coir is the way to go. Make sure u give him 20 minute soaks every other day. Tomatoes should be fed occasionally. Make sure you give him variety of mustard greens, weeds and collard greens.

Last edited:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
What kind of tortoise?

You need more moisture in your substrate, coconut coir is the way to go. Make sure u give him 20 minute soaks every other day. Tomatoes should be fed occasionally. Make sure you give him variety of mustard greens, weeds and collard greens.

It says STAR tortoise in the topic Title.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Give some details about temps and maybe post some pictures of the enclosure. Several Star experts are on the forum and that may help them spot the issue.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus

I don't think sand is a good idea at all. Regular garden soil is what I'd use if I were you.
Sand and watery setup is something you'd use for the Indian Flapshell (fresh water) Turtle because they do burrow.
I don't think the stars have any burrowing tendency.

By using sand, you may actually be creating more havoc for them. To what I know, Stars are the junglee breed.

Kartik

Creating another thread was by mistake but as directed by Indian vets and experts torts here can live in sand..no lamps required..

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
No lamps are required if your tortoise lives outside.
Uvb lights are not required if your tortoise gets real sunshine a couple times a week for 2-3 hours.
A basking lamp is always needed for tortoises living inside.
And i wouldnt recommend loose sand as a substrate. Sand outdoors is hard and compact so it doesnt easily get digested.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
it is possible he has sand in his eye (s) and the soak helps wash it out.
Perhaps it is also possible that he is a little dehydrated and the soak moisturizes him, as sand is not a good retainer of water and therefore humidity.
As stated, if he gets a few hours real, unfiltered sunlight every week, then a UVB is not necessary.
if indoors a basking lamp may be necessary, depending on your temperatures.
Be careful, many vets and 'experts' are going on outdated 20 year old information.
Tortoise keeping has moved on a lot in the last few years.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Creating another thread was by mistake but as directed by Indian vets and experts torts here can live in sand..no lamps required..

I wouldn't use sand as substrate. It's too loose, gets stuck on the food and ingested, is easy for them to inhale, and might get in the eyes.

Flush out the eye with sterile saline solution (you can buy this at the pharmacy in the contact lens section), and change the substrate to something else.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some basic questions:

1. Is your tortoise on sand or newspaper?
2. Is your tortoise housed indoors or outside?
3. Can we see a pic of the enclosure(s)?