My Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Thought I would post some pics of my Stars as it's been a while. I lurk but don't normally post. They are too young to sex but I do see a difference in them but will/may change?

Attachments

• Curry dirty face.jpg
    Curry dirty face.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 97
  • Rice 2.jpg
    Rice 2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 82
  • Curry and Rice.jpg
    Curry and Rice.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Curry tail shot.jpg
    Curry tail shot.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Rice tail shot 2.jpg
    Rice tail shot 2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 104

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Curry looks to be a female and Rice looks to be a male. :D

Danny

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How big are they? You have two beauties and I have to say, I really love their names! Does indeed look like it's currently looking to be a pair. Congrats on that staying true. I know, I have this fear everytime I get a group of youngsters, that they will all turn out to be females. Seems most folks are only trying to hatch out females (and who can really blame them?). Yet sometimes I worry if we will get to the point of too many females and not enough males.

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Jacqui: Curry is 3.5" SCL and 187 grms and Rice is 2.65" and 94 grms.

Danny: That was my thoughts too re sex. I don't know if you remember me, I sent you an email and it was regarding Rice because he wasn't gaining weight as much as Curry, they started out very close in size and weight when I got them in Feb. (he checked out normal when I took him to the vets) What is your experience with torts in general as to their growing patterns if they have the exact same environment and nourishment, etc. Do you or have you noticed that the females will grow faster than the males or there really is no pattern? Curry is now quite a bit bigger than Rice. Rice is happy and healthy in every respect, he just doesn't grow at the same rate. I would think that babies would grow at almost the same rate?

I have separated them to see if this will make a difference in his weight gain/size. I do realize he will always be smaller than Curry because he is a male.

Thanks,

Carol

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I do remember :)

No matter the set-up and diet, tortoises in the same enclosure will almost always grow at different rates. Whether one is getting more food or better spot to bask or stay warm, could be. Or just the presents of another tortoise being seen all the time could cause a tortoise to use his/her calories up with a heightened stress response. It could be any or all of these things. If anything I've found that males grow faster than females, than they slow down (if they are a small tortoise species) at about the 3 to 4 inch mark and the females will start to grow faster.

Danny

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the response, now it kind of makes sense. He is defintiely more reserved than Curry and if I have to handle him he takes a while to recover from it.

I am hoping to see a faster rate of weight gain now that he is on his own.

Thank you for your comments,

Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.