My Sulcata’s color

Status
Not open for further replies.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
I’ve seen in the pet stores many Sulcata’s; same size and larger then mine but never one as dark. The bigger he gets the darker he gets. And he’s growing very quickly. I feed him Muzi, dandelion greens and different grasses. Isn’t this an unusual color or I’m I wrong? Most I’ve seen are much lighter.

Latest photo.

6-1-09.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
How hot are you keeping him? If he's cooler, his body will increase the amount of pigment his shell produces, so that he soaks up more heat (lighter colors reflect, darker colors absorb heat)

His growth looks good though, Sulcatas, when raised correctly can be pretty fast growing. Are you also still supplementing Calcium at ever feeding?

It also looks like he's got a cute little Pug nose just like Maggie's Bob. :D

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Sulcatas range from color, really light to really dark, i've seen some as dark as yours or darker. I had two one was light other was dark, There are some many breeders out there and so many are being bred the range of color is huge. Yours is darker then a lot of them though, but i wouldnt worry.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
Thank you both for the comments, didn’t know there were different colors becases all I've seen where so much lighter.

Meg the hottest area of his enclosure 90 degrees. Where he sleeps it drops to about 74. I do supplement his diet with Pep-Cal, usually every other day. Plus he has two cuddle bones, which he chews on daily. I know he’s healthy, eats like a little horse. He’s fed twice a day. Before I leave for work and when I get home. He pretty much knows what time I get home and he’s there waiting for his dinner.

Thanks again, I was just a little concerned as I haven't seen any as dark as mine.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I have--even on this forum. As long as the husbandry is correct, I wouldn't worry about the color. It's cool he's unique.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I really like the darker color sullys. They are in my opinion more regal looking.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
richalisoviejo said:
I’ve seen in the pet stores many Sulcata’s; same size and larger then mine but never one as dark. The bigger he gets the darker he gets. And he’s growing very quickly. I feed him Muzi, dandelion greens and different grasses. Isn’t this an unusual color or I’m I wrong? Most I’ve seen are much lighter.

Latest photo.

6-1-09.jpg
Mine is that color as well, he's always been that color since I purchased him in January. and it's hotter than 90 degrees in his home because I can't raise his lamp any higher but he always sleeps under it.

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Mine is darker also, but not as dark as yours:

DSCF7948.jpg

I found him with the pyramids, you can see the new growth that has happened since I have had him. I found this guy walking the streets of Tempe.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
Thanks, I like his coloring I was just concerned because I hadn’t seen any as dark. I can’t believe how fast he’s growing. And I’m happy he’s healthy.

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
richalisoviejo said:
Thanks, I like his coloring I was just concerned because I hadn’t seen any as dark. I can’t believe how fast he’s growing. And I’m happy he’s healthy.

Your tort's them song could be "Ebony and Ivory" :D

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
BigBiscuit said:
richalisoviejo said:

Your tort's them song could be "Ebony and Ivory" :D

Hehe, I wouldn’t mind those names if Michael Jackson wasn’t attached to one of them LOL :D

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
wasn't that Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder?

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
aktech23 said:
wasn't that Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder?

I think Paul and Stevie did do the song. However, Michael Jackson was ebony, and is now ivory.

Status
Not open for further replies.