My sulcata always seems hungry

Katiehu

Location (City and/or State)
SOUTH CAROLINA
He’s is always walking back and forth. He eats some hay but not much. I feed him veggies once a week and 1 pellet 2 times a week on calcium days. I can’t get him grass because I don’t trust the one outside my house. I tried growing it but it never goes well. My sulcata is about 6 months

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He’s is always walking back and forth. He eats some hay but not much. I feed him veggies once a week and 1 pellet 2 times a week on calcium days. I can’t get him grass because I don’t trust the one outside my house. I tried growing it but it never goes well. My sulcata is about 6 months
Hay is for older sulcatas, not babies.

Grow your own grass or buy it at the pet store. Read this for more food ideas:

ISU

South Korea
Barley and wheat grass grow quickly indoors. If you soak the seeds in water for 12 to 24 hours before planting them, they will grow faster

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You must give him more food. Buy grocery store greens until you can get better foods like grass, weeds, etc going. They are better then starving him. He needs to be offered a pile of food a day that he will eat and more if he eats it all.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Be sure that your enclosure is providing the proper environment. Tortoises pace for a number of reasons:

*too hot
*too cold
*too dry
*hungry
*thirsty
*not enough cover to hide in (scared)

Read the care sheet linked above carefully and make any needed adjustments.

Search locally for farms that deal in baled grasses and hay. Ask if they sell fresh cut grasses.

Reactions: ISU