My sulcata ate stryofoam

Status
Not open for further replies.

starjess81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
KY
Please don't judge me! I usually am so careful feeding my torts....I ran out of paper plates and had a few stryofoam plates so I made my sully breakfast and put it on the plate. she was eating less than 5 feet away from me and I heard the plate crack jumped up and she had a little hunk in her mouth and would not spit it out. Should I take her in to the vet or see if it passes? I feel horrible.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just a word of advice don't feed on any plates what so ever, now for the tortoise it is not bad news or anything, sulcatas often eat anything they can get a hold of. Watch him and he should pass some strange looking poop soon. soak everyday, so he can stay hydrated.

starjess81

5 Year Member
KY
Ok she usually poops when I soak her......ill get her bath ready!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is more likely gonna take several days up to a week to move "things" through, just FYI

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
:tort: Should pass just fine, keep her pooping!

:( I had a young aldabra eat corn cobble many years ago, all passed, however it did take some time.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
P.S. none of us are judging you, we all are guilty of doing something that seemed good at the time, but we later regretted.

starjess81

5 Year Member
KY
Ok thanks everyone! Ill keep you posted when it passes!

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
I did this myself a while ago, it took about 4 days before I noticed it in mines poop. I felt horrible too. I use a plate to take it out and toss her salad down on a piece of slate and got side tracked and left the plate in her yard. Thank goodness she only ate a small piece.. It will be fine..

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
I agree with the above posts, she will probably be fine. I once found a rubber glove in a tort poo... I was not a happy camper! But the torts were fine.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Yeah don't feel bad. My sully Cooper thinks everything is food! Rocks, the blanket, his cardboard hide box lol! He is a handfull to keep an eye on outside for sure! Hope everything pass's in a few days ok.

dustee35

10 Year Member!
I really have to watch because all of mine love to eat the stuffing out of the dog toys. I feel like I am on fuzz patrol all the time. Do they ever chew or is everything always swallowed whole? :cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its unanimous. This will probably pass in a few days.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
My little snot found the one tiny piece of foil gum wrapper out in the yard, it was really really soft and it broke when I tried to get it out of his mouth. So I expect to find a silver turd here in a day or two.

bfmorris

5 Year Member
My G. sulcata will eat any foreign stuff if they encounter it outdoors. I found Arabic candy wrappers and aluminum pull tabs in their stools years ago when I first imported them. Since then, anything that blows or drops into my pens has shown up in their boluses. Gobs of plastic Easter basket grass, plastic vegetable netting like what tomatoes are sold in, "IT'S A BOY!!" foil balloons that have came down out of the sky are some of the special treats.

starjess81

5 Year Member
KY
Tortoises sure are funny! I am glad she will be alright, it was just a little nerve racking! Thanks all for the replies! Ill keep you posted on her poop! Lol

starjess81

5 Year Member
KY
Yeah....I get to be the first poop watcher!! LOL The things we do for our pets! :)

Here is my Tank!IMG_0994.JPGIMG_1031.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Well I got my silver speckled turd, How's yours doing? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.