My sulcata can’t open its eyes

fisers666

Location (City and/or State)
Riga,Latvia

_Sulcata_tortoise_

Texas
That is a colored light bulb. Those do not produce the needed UVB, and they should not be used over reptiles. The colors mess with their heads and can confuse them and upset their circadian rhythms.

Does your tortoise ever get outside? Has it had any UV since you've had it? How about a calcium supplement with D3?
Yes I often take him outside. The bulb is blue but when it’s turned on, it doesn’t look blue, it’s the normal light color. I don’t know if that changes anything. Yes I have a powder for that vitamin that I sprinkle on his food.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's what you have to do to get that baby's eyes open. He's not going to eat until he can see and smell his food. Buy several jars of Gerber strained carrot baby food. In a bowl big enough to hold the tortoise so he can't climb out, but small enough that you don't have to use the whole jar of baby food, mix baby food and warm water 50/50 then place the baby in the bowl and set the bowl back into his enclosure so the light can keep it warm. Leave him soaking in the mixture for at least a half hour, and longer is even better, but keep watching so he doesn't tip over and drown. His eyes should open after you've done the for three days.

Now, to KEEP the eyes open. You need a light that doesn't harm the eyes. I like to use the tube type fluorescent bulb. He needs his enclosure to be in the low 80sF day and night, and humidity 80% or so day and night. Heat and humidity, and eating will keep those eyes open. Soak in warm water daily . You don't need the babyfood soaks once the eyes are open, just plain warm water will be fine.

Try to find out what the previous owner was feeding this baby. You can slowly, over time, change to a better diet, but the trick is to get him eating, so use what he's used to seeing as food from the previous owner, even if its something they're not supposed to have.

_Sulcata_tortoise_

Texas
Here's what you have to do to get that baby's eyes open. He's not going to eat until he can see and smell his food. Buy several jars of Gerber strained carrot baby food. In a bowl big enough to hold the tortoise so he can't climb out, but small enough that you don't have to use the whole jar of baby food, mix baby food and warm water 50/50 then place the baby in the bowl and set the bowl back into his enclosure so the light can keep it warm. Leave him soaking in the mixture for at least a half hour, and longer is even better, but keep watching so he doesn't tip over and drown. His eyes should open after you've done the for three days.

Now, to KEEP the eyes open. You need a light that doesn't harm the eyes. I like to use the tube type fluorescent bulb. He needs his enclosure to be in the low 80sF day and night, and humidity 80% or so day and night. Heat and humidity, and eating will keep those eyes open. Soak in warm water daily . You don't need the babyfood soaks once the eyes are open, just plain warm water will be fine.

Try to find out what the previous owner was feeding this baby. You can slowly, over time, change to a better diet, but the trick is to get him eating, so use what he's used to seeing as food from the previous owner, even if its something they're not supposed to have.
Ok thank you! Do you think making carrot juice in a juicer would be better?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok thank you. One more question, will it work immediately or a couple hours after? Thank you once again
You have to soak for about a half hour or more, three days in a row. After three days the eyes should be open.

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
Yes I often take him outside. The bulb is blue but when it’s turned on, it doesn’t look blue, it’s the normal light color. I don’t know if that changes anything. Yes I have a powder for that vitamin that I sprinkle on his food.
With doing what Yvonne and Tom said, try changing the light bulb to see if it makes a difference. I'm not too sure about a blue bulb light, but I definitely know some lights hurt my eyes and the one my tortoise has doesn't.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I shouldn’t take him to the vet? I have no idea my mom bought him for me as a Christmas gift. But she said the others had cracked shells. His light is a uvb light. The night light is a black light that gives off 60 watts as well. I took him outside a while ago. He seems active and walks around but bumps into stuff because he cannot see. Yesterday he did drink some of the carrot juice but hasn’t really eaten anything. I’m going to try the carrot juice again later today to see if that will help. I was also deciding wether or not to take him to the vet. Should I? I read it was a lot of money so I was thinking on selling some stuff so I could take him. Also is there anything I can do to help him eat since he hasn’t been eating much? Also could you send me like screenshots of all the things you recommend? I went to the pet store yesterday and was a bit confused on what and which brand to get so I got the light bulb in the mean time. Thanks
If the other tortoises had "cracked shells", they were most likely kept in a VERY dry environment. The wrong lights may have also been used. When did he start keeping his eyes closed?

_Sulcata_tortoise_

Texas
If the other tortoises had "cracked shells", they were most likely kept in a VERY dry environment. The wrong lights may have also been used. When did he start keeping his eyes closed?
I think only one of them had a cracked shell, but I don’t know the reason. He’s had his eyes closed for about a week.