My sulcata has become a picky eater. He used to eat everything

Katiehu

Location (City and/or State)
SOUTH CAROLINA
He want eat veggies anymore. He used to eat literally any veggie I gave him. All he eats is his pellets. I want him to eat something other than pellets. I even left veggies out for him for a couple of days without pellets and he still didn’t eat.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
You can mash up the moist pellets and mix it up with his greens so that the greens are coated.

ReiGuy

NJ
He want eat veggies anymore. He used to eat literally any veggie I gave him. All he eats is his pellets. I want him to eat something other than pellets. I even left veggies out for him for a couple of days without pellets and he still didn’t eat.

What type of pellets are you feeding?

One thing I did was chop all of the grocery greens, grass, cactus, etc (whatever I was feeding that day) up into really small pieces, and then I moistened the zoomed grassland pellets or Mazuri I was using and mixed it all up very well. This way, everything sticks together and if the tort wants something it really likes, other goodies will be stuck to it. And over time, your tort will start associating everything as its regular diet.

My situation was a bit the opposite by where my tort loved greens at first but did not like the pellets. But by slowly introducing and gradually building up the amount of pellets, my tort eventually came to love the grassland diet and mazuri. And once this was established, I'd incorporate the pellets a few times a week as part of a well-varied diet (I was incorporating some grassland tortoise diet 2 times per week and some Mazuri LS once per week)

Last edited: