My sulcata is eating his bedding.

Melis

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
No, he is not okay eating the moss. This is very dangerous as it can cause impaction which can lead to death. What type of tortoise? Most recommend either orchid bark or coco coir as substrates.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thats why it's not recommended. It usually always gets eaten and that can cause all kinds of problems. Coconut coir or orchid bark or even I have used repti bark. A combo of the coir and bark I like the best lately. Coir on the bottom.

P

pguinpro

Looks real to me, in moderation should be fine! See picture below for SUPPORTING EVIDENCE, thanks! My sulcata gnaws at it from time to time in between meals but never as a primary source of food. I've found it's best to check tortoise table app first, which is not tortoise specific, then do a little research and make solid decision moving forward. Also you can find universities and email herptologist which is basically free advice from someone with Doctorates degree [emoji28][emoji41]. You'll find a lot of conflicting opinions from time to time but ultimately it will come down to experience. Torts going to eat what a torts going to eat...just do your due diligence to make sure it's not toxic; key word toxic!Screenshot_20181019-190952_The%20Tortoise%20Table.jpeg

Hai

Tucson az
Ok. I got reptile bark. I heard I can mix it with organic potting soil, is that true? Or should I put the coco stuff on the bottom?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
If you choose to use potting soil make sure it doesn't have perlite or pumice or anything like that. Torts will eat that too and get impacted.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Ok. I got reptile bark. I heard I can mix it with organic potting soil, is that true? Or should I put the coco stuff on the bottom?

Does this “reptile bark” have any white bits in it?

I have no idea why some manufacturers do it, but some mix their tortoise substrate with calcium pieces. Tortoises eat the white bits and thus end up eating substrate too. Added to that, printing a picture of a tortoise on a packet seems to double the price of a product easily available from garden centres and DIY stores.

Plain, fine grade, bark on its own is good. You don’t need to mix it with anything other than water (tip it in from a jug and mix until all of it is evenly damp right to the bottom and into the corners)

If there are any white bits, take it back and get a refund then go to a garden centre

Hai

Tucson az
Ya it doesn't have any white bits in it. What about his hide just bark also?

Hai

Tucson az
If you choose to use potting soil make sure it doesn't have perlite or pumice or anything like that. Torts will eat that too and get impacted.

I see alot with lime in it. Is that safe?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! I see you have got some good advice already. But can we see some pics of your tortoise and the enclosure? Do you have an outdoor or indoor or both? Outdoors you can use various natural things like soil (not sand), grass and leaves, depending on what kind.