My sulcata is hibernating what do I do.

Sarahjfrank

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix AZ
Hi everyone! I’ve had my male sulcata tortoise for a year and a half. We think he is about 6 1/2 years old. About two weeks ago he started hibernating in his burrow. I’ve been looking on line at what I should do? Should I force him to wake up? He has a heating pad which he isn’t sitting on. Last winter he did not hibernate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone! I’ve had my male sulcata tortoise for a year and a half. We think he is about 6 1/2 years old. About two weeks ago he started hibernating in his burrow. I’ve been looking on line at what I should do? Should I force him to wake up? He has a heating pad which he isn’t sitting on. Last winter he did not hibernate.
Hello and welcome! Good thing you decided to ask. He is not hibernating, or brumating, because this species doesn't. He is dying a slow death from the wrong temperatures. This species comes from the tropics. A cold winter day there might only get up to 88, but almost every day, year round is over 100. Phoenix is GREAT for them in summer with a burrow, but your winters are much too cold. Your tortoise needs its burrow in Summer and then it needs to have the burrow blocked off in fall and be made to use its heated night box for the winter every year. I am aware that many survive living outdoors in Phoenix with no heat, but many of these get sick and die. It is not good for them. They need warm temps year round.

Here are two examples of night boxes and some threads to help explain them more:

Single Tortoise Night Box

I like my larger tortoises to live outside full time. My climate permits this year round with a little help. For people who live where it snows all winter, this type of box is still good for warmer weather, getting them out earlier in Spring, and keeping them out a bit later into fall. You'll...
tortoiseforum.org
tortoiseforum.org

Double Door Night Box

As the years have gone by and I build more of these boxes, I learn more and more each time. This one is the latest and I incorporated everything I've learned over the years. I also tried to take lots of pics so I can explain in more detail some of what is going on. It will take multiple posts to...
tortoiseforum.org
tortoiseforum.org

Here is the 4x8 rendering of Tom's Night Box. With Exploded view.

This is a rendering I did based off of @Tom 's heated night box enclosure. Its probably not a 100% accurate. Door is offset to one side for my personal needs but can easily be moved. Let me know if you see any issues with it. Feed back appreciated. High res renderings can be downloaded here...
tortoiseforum.org
tortoiseforum.org

What You'll Need to Build A Night Box

I just typed up a list of the needed supplies to build a night box and thought I'd copy paste it here: For sulcatas, I make the doors 26x16". This will fit all but the largest of large males for their entire life. If you end up with one of the giants, you will eventually have to make another...
tortoiseforum.org
tortoiseforum.org

tortoiseforum.org

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh my goodness! Thank you so much!
You are welcome. Post pictures and feel free to ask questions. Many times tortoises are misidentified. Pics will help us make sure that is not the case here. :)

Sarahjfrank

Phoenix AZ
We pulled him out and he ate! Acting totally normal! Now he’s just chilling watching what’s going on. I tried to post photos but it’s not working.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Good job you found TFO in time!
Keep him warm and follow Tom's recommendations above and and this is the caresheet you need to put everything right (also written by Tom).