My Sulcata is trying to eat rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

griefold

5 Year Member
Every time I take my little sully out to sun he immediately runs to the nearest pebbles and starts biting them. I think this is a calcium problem, or are sulcatas like birds and other reptiles where they need rocks in their guts to crush their food. I am worried about this since I am having trouble getting Alex to eat food with Reptical on it or even Mazuri which has calcium in it too. Any suggestions on this one?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is usually a mineral deficiency or imbalance. I have had good results using a product called MinerAll from Sticky Tongue Farms.

What do you typically feed? I see this most often with sulcatas that are fed mostly grocery store food. Add some grass and weeds and this typically gets better.
Here's a thread on sulcata diets I made:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html

griefold

5 Year Member
Tom said:
This is usually a mineral deficiency or imbalance. I have had good results using a product called MinerAll from Sticky Tongue Farms.

What do you typically feed? I see this most often with sulcatas that are fed mostly grocery store food. Add some grass and weeds and this typically gets better.
Here's a thread on sulcata diets I made:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html

Spring mix salad mix, trying to get him to eat Mazuri, and grass from my yard (chemical and pesticide free).

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Try mixing small amounts of mazuri and cut up grass. Add that to his spring mix. Keep doing this even if he doesn't eat much of the mix. Sooner or later, he'll just start chomping on that mix. Later add weeds and other leaves to the mix. These babies are like human babies when you try to get them to eat veggies they don't like but are good for them :)

griefold

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Try mixing small amounts of mazuri and cut up grass. Add that to his spring mix. Keep doing this even if he doesn't eat much of the mix. Sooner or later, he'll just start chomping on that mix. Later add weeds and other leaves to the mix. These babies are like human babies when you try to get them to eat veggies they don't like but are good for them :)

Figured that out after reading some of the other tags about trying the torts and getting them to eat grass. Will work on these suggestions starting today.

Status
Not open for further replies.