My Sulcata keeps running everywhere and trying to flip over

Brian Alvarado

Location (City and/or State)
Tempe Arizona
I dont whats going on with him is it something bad he flipped over today and I freaked out because I didnt know how he flipped he's constantly scratching the corners I have 2 tortoises but only one of them is doing it?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
sounds like fighting to me and one fliping the other over try to win the fight

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I havent seen them fight at all 1 of them is just mostly sleeping walking around and the younger one is the 1 thats trying to climb and running around

Pairs never do well together. That one running around is trying to get out of the other one's territory. You will notice a difference in both the animals if you separate them permanently.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
When you have pairs one becomes dominant and bullies the other. Even though you may not see any obviously aggressive behaviour it could just be following, pushing or even just staring, its all very subtle and cause a great deal of stress, illness and maybe even death to the bullied tort - so best separate as soon as possible, they don't need or like company.
If you do a search on Pairs you will see what could happen.

Brian Alvarado

Tempe Arizona
When you have pairs one becomes dominant and bullies the other. Even though you may not see any obviously aggressive behaviour it could just be following, pushing or even just staring, its all very subtle and cause a great deal of stress, illness and maybe even death to the bullied tort - so best separate as soon as possible, they don't need or like company.
If you do a search on Pairs you will see what could happen.
Even though their brothers they fight?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yup - they are very territorial. Small groups may work if the gender mix is right and you have loads of space for them to avoid each other - but not pairs. Some people who have had pairs think they are cuddling but it is actually the dominant tort trying to push the other out of the space. They will bite feet, barge shells and can cause serious damage if not death. Not a risk I would want to take.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Yes. how are they brothers if you have one That is younger than the other? sometimes it can be just a new habitat and he's looking for some place to hide. do you have something he can get inside of that's dark? we call them 'hides' here. look up bUllying here on the forum in the search line above. sometimes it's very subtle. one will follow the other around like their bUddies but really he's bullying him.
did you see the video where 1 tortoise Was trying to flip his 'buddy' back over onto his belly and then they both walk away one following the other? that was an extreme aggression. he was trying to flip him over but not smart enough to realize he was already flipped over and then he was chasing him. but it was a cute video. people are always trying to put human emotions on tortoises. but it doesn't work in this case.
I didn't know they didn't do good in pairs. I had already gotten a pair as well....live and learn

Brian Alvarado

Tempe Arizona
Yes. how are they brothers if you have one That is younger than the other? sometimes it can be just a new habitat and he's looking for some place to hide. do you have something he can get inside of that's dark? we call them 'hides' here. look up bUllying here on the forum in the search line above. sometimes it's very subtle. one will follow the other around like their bUddies but really he's bullying him.
did you see the video where 1 tortoise Was trying to flip his 'buddy' back over onto his belly and then they both walk away one following the other? that was an extreme aggression. he was trying to flip him over but not smart enough to realize he was already flipped over and then he was chasing him. but it was a cute video. people are always trying to put human emotions on tortoises. but it doesn't work in this case.
I didn't know they didn't do good in pairs. I had already gotten a pair as well....live and learn
I got them from a person and they breeded them and got the sulcata that I have and yes I have a hide set up I only have a 75 gallon tank only 1 tank though so now im kinda freaked out

Brian Alvarado

Tempe Arizona
They been sleeping together for the last 3 days and eating together

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They should not be kept in pairs. You need to separate them. There does not have to be overt hostility and attacks. Just the presence of one is stressful on the other and it wants to leave the territory.

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

What equipment are you using for lighting and heating? UV? Coil type?

Here is the right care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Feeding:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Helpful tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You wont always see a physical fight. (Don't be mislead by that word.)
Most of the time it's subtle, but it's a serious issue and quickly leads to sick tortoises.
Some bullying actually looks like playing or affection. keep in mind that tortoises don't play or become affectionate.