My Sulcata pen (want to add stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt581

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jackson MI
Right now are Sulcata pen is 50x50 with 2 dog houses they like to go in and out of and they dig holes then fall asleep in. We were wondering we do have some rocks in the pen right now and thats about it ? Id like to add some trees and maybe a little pond for water? idk if they would use it tho? We have 2 Sulcata's they run all day last week was little over 100degress out so I want some more thigs in there pen

http://i56.tinypic.com/30sheom.jpg

I know Arizona Compound has some cool things idk if all tortoise's like the water or not?

Any info would be great thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Water and more natural coverage would be perfect for them. Just make sure pond is shallow enough, for them to get in and out of easily, and can drink and soak in it. They don't swim. Trees easy to grow most places and they can eat would be Rose of Sharon, roses, mulberry depending on where you live. Hostas bushes give good shade and they can eat it. Opuntia cactus is zone 5 hardy and easy to grow, they love to eat that too. Hibiscus also are a nice eat and can give shade also. There are lots more too. This is a start. Don't forget pics:D

The link to the pic at tiny pic. That's not yours, correct. It looks great whose ever it is. Except, does need some greenery and natural shade. Love the pond and creek in it. If you can do that, what are you waiting for:D

matt581

5 Year Member
Jackson MI
Ok grama has lots of Hostas bushes and im going to get some prices on rose and mulberry this week! thanks and yes pics asap

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I sometimes use fallen tree trunks as a visual barrier. I also pile up dirt into little mounds. It's nice when the weeds take hole on it. It makes a little grassy knoll for them to climb around on or hide behind as the case may be.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
You can order weed seeds for sulcata. I have ornamental grasses as well as what other members have listed. I also in the spring throw in squash, mustard green, turnip greens, and edible flower seeds and let them grow. On really hot days they need to be able to get in the shade and have water at all times. Torts can overheat just like any other animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.