My Sulcata Tortoise ate some oil paint

RickyTheMan

Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
I’ve had Ricky the sulcata tortoise for almost 2 years, got him a month after his hatching. He’s pretty big for his age, but he’s always been in good health and very active.
a few days ago he accidentally ate a blob of yellow oil paint my boyfriend and I forgot to put away. We immediately rushed him to the vet. They recommended antibiotics shots in case the toxic paint that contains cadmium zinc sulfide causes pneumonia or something and told us we won’t know the effect for a week or two since their metabolism is so slow. He’s been fine since the incident, it’s been 5/6 days, he’s been moving and trying to ram into the walls of his inclosure which is typical and he’s as hungry as ever. He’s been pooping regularly too. However today I gave him a bath and he started hissing and sucking in very loudly. He’s been doing it often since an hour or two ago, even after I removed him from the bath. He’s under his heat lamp now, but every few minutes I hear him loudly hissing and sucking in and that’s not usually something he does this often so I’m wondering if anyone knows what this could mean. Is he struggling to breath? Or is he maybe just bored, I don’t know. I have a video, but I don’t think I can attach videos.
Also after his poop in the bath and the hissing I noticed his butt/tail area looks a little swollen. I don’t know if that’s also normal, maybe he’s trying to push out the paint? I just don’t know. Will attach photos.
I couldn’t find anything on the internet about tortoises eating paint just dogs and cats, has anyone had a similar experience? He’s our baby and we’re just insanely worried about him. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

5C0F3A5E-3413-431A-87FB-D8C08D8DD8CC.jpeg40112BE7-4BA7-40F5-B29E-24BDAAAA5249.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Take a leaf of lettuce (in this instance iceberg is ok) and spread a coating of mineral oil over it. Roll up the leaf into a cigar shape with the mineral oil inside. Hand feed it to him. Mineral oil is non absorptive and coats everything in his stomach and digestive tract, making it easier to slip out.

Note: NEVER put mineral oil by itself into the mouth. The tortoise would not feel it and might inhale it into his lungs.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
While you are feeding the mineral oil, I would also offer up a bunch of cactus pads & aloe vera pads. They are both nice and mucousy and will help coat the digestive tract. I’m sure extra long daily soakings.

Good luck.

RickyTheMan

Hawaii
Take a leaf of lettuce (in this instance iceberg is ok) and spread a coating of mineral oil over it. Roll up the leaf into a cigar shape with the mineral oil inside. Hand feed it to him. Mineral oil is non absorptive and coats everything in his stomach and digestive tract, making it easier to slip out.

Note: NEVER put mineral oil by itself into the mouth. The tortoise would not feel it and might inhale it into his lungs.

Is there a certain type of mineral oil I should get or any type that is dangerous? Or can I just get the generic Walgreens or CVS brand?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I’ve had Ricky the sulcata tortoise for almost 2 years, got him a month after his hatching. He’s pretty big for his age, but he’s always been in good health and very active.
a few days ago he accidentally ate a blob of yellow oil paint my boyfriend and I forgot to put away. We immediately rushed him to the vet. They recommended antibiotics shots in case the toxic paint that contains cadmium zinc sulfide causes pneumonia or something and told us we won’t know the effect for a week or two since their metabolism is so slow. He’s been fine since the incident, it’s been 5/6 days, he’s been moving and trying to ram into the walls of his inclosure which is typical and he’s as hungry as ever. He’s been pooping regularly too. However today I gave him a bath and he started hissing and sucking in very loudly. He’s been doing it often since an hour or two ago, even after I removed him from the bath. He’s under his heat lamp now, but every few minutes I hear him loudly hissing and sucking in and that’s not usually something he does this often so I’m wondering if anyone knows what this could mean. Is he struggling to breath? Or is he maybe just bored, I don’t know. I have a video, but I don’t think I can attach videos.
Also after his poop in the bath and the hissing I noticed his butt/tail area looks a little swollen. I don’t know if that’s also normal, maybe he’s trying to push out the paint? I just don’t know. Will attach photos.
I couldn’t find anything on the internet about tortoises eating paint just dogs and cats, has anyone had a similar experience? He’s our baby and we’re just insanely worried about him. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

View attachment 311432View attachment 311433
Maybe he has a bladder stone he is trying pass. An X-ray by your vet might be helpful to diagnose the problem.

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
Regular mineral oil from those pharmacies will work. I've used it plenty of times to get things moving