My sulcata walks on his back knees, not his feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annaliisas

5 Year Member
I just adopted this sulcata, and many of you may have seen my previous thread on pyramiding. (he is severely pyramided). He doesn't walk on his back leg feet, he uses his knees. He gets around really well. Probably even better with recent soaking and better food and real sun. But I put him in his saucer of water and a few minutes later I put some dandelion greens and spring mix on his rock. Dandelion greens are a new fave. He tried getting out really quickly but couldn't make his back legs get him out. His front legs had purchase in the dirt, but maybe he just isn't strong enough yet?

Another photo

Annaliisas said:
I just adopted this sulcata, and many of you may have seen my previous thread on pyramiding. (he is severely pyramided). He doesn't walk on his back leg feet, he uses his knees. He gets around really well. Probably even better with recent soaking and better food and real sun. But I put him in his saucer of water and a few minutes later I put some dandelion greens and spring mix on his rock. Dandelion greens are a new fave. He tried getting out really quickly but couldn't make his back legs get him out. His front legs had purchase in the dirt, but maybe he just isn't strong enough yet?

Another photo

This is an older pic. Before I got rid of sand. But you can see he is not on his feet

Attachments

• image-2241675366.png
    image-2241675366.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 133
  • image-1616173870.png
    image-1616173870.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 110

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lynnwood, WA
I'm not sure if I can be of any help, but make sure he gets a lot of calcium and sunshine. I hope he recovers fast!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would say MBD, back leg issues usually result from that. I would also suspect that he is not really walking on his knees, as much as he is sort of dragging his legs most of the time, just a guess. Right now time sunshine and calcium is what he really needs, do you have a cuttle bone? are sprinkling his food with powdered calcium?

Annaliisas

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I would say MBD, back leg issues usually result from that. I would also suspect that he is not really walking on his knees, as much as he is sort of dragging his legs most of the time, just a guess. Right now time sunshine and calcium is what he really needs, do you have a cuttle bone? are sprinkling his food with powdered calcium?

He gets AROUND just fine. But I put him in his water saucer and he had a hard time getting out. He did it eventually. But it's probably the reason I never see him in there. I am sprinkling calcium on his greens. He is in an outside enclosure all day. I live in Phoenix and its really warm here right now. He comes out a lot for sun. Tom has been guiding me on diet. I got some Mazuri to supplement his greens. I ordered some sulcata grass seed to pant in flats. It's ok with me if he never walks on his feet as long as he isn't in pain. It's not like I'm going to show him! Lol. I was even told be a tort owner here that is can put calcium in the soil that I plant the grass seed in to fortify the grass. It seems like that would work in theory. Comments?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Calcium in soil. I hope it would work. My leopard hates calcium. A real struggle trying to hide it. That would be great if it worked. I will be calling a nursery tomorrow. However, other things gets into the plants, fertilizers, etc, why not:D

Annaliisas

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Calcium in soil. I hope it would work. My leopard hates calcium. A real struggle trying to hide it. That would be great if it worked. I will be calling a nursery tomorrow. However, other things gets into the plants, fertilizers, etc, why not:D

I confirmed it with a wholesale nursery here. But I was just looking for expert opinions with torts.

Annaliisas said:
I confirmed it with a wholesale nursery here. But I was just looking for expert opinions with torts.

It also wouldn't be super concentrated, some of the calcium would drain off. But if we dissolved it in the water we water the plants with it will absorb faster instead of sprinkling it on soil and adding grass seed. Just a thought. When I fertilize my pants in pots I put it in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.