My sulcata will not eat it’s prepared diet

Ebuscape

Location (City and/or State)
Puerto Rico
I have a 2.5 month old silcata tortoise and I got it some mazuri ls tortoise diet and it will not eat it. Don’t get me wrong the sulcata will eat anything else I offer it including hibiscus flowers and leaves, fruit and grass sometimes. Could i get any advice on what to do!?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 2.5 month old silcata tortoise and I got it some mazuri ls tortoise diet and it will not eat it. Don’t get me wrong the sulcata will eat anything else I offer it including hibiscus flowers and leaves, fruit and grass sometimes. Could i get any advice on what to do!?
Hello and welcome. Few tortoise will eat a new food the first time they see it. It takes a lengthy introduction process to get them eating new foods.

What type of Mazuri did you get? The original 5M21, or the newer LS type? Are you soaking it first to soften it up? Soak a single pellet, and then mix in the mush with the day's other favorite familiar greens. Over time go to two pellets, then three, etc...

They should never be fed fruit. Its not good for them. The sugars can wreak havoc with their gut biome.

Grass, weeds, and hibiscus are all great foods.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Tom. First on the fruit, stop feeding fruit before it causes bigger problems.
The mazuri has to be soaked until soft. Smear it on some of the favorite greens. Once he starts to eat it, you can add more. They usually end up loving it.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
You can crush the LS dry and sprinkle on the greens. I use regular plyers to break it into very small pieces. They also have a mini LS that softens quickly.