WyattsReptiles

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
I have an 8 month old sulcata, she eats tortoise diet from zoo med, but refuses to consume more natural diets such as grasses and hays. Help would be much appreciated!!!!

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
I have an 8 month old sulcata, she eats tortoise diet from zoo med, but refuses to consume more natural diets such as grasses and hays. Help would be much appreciated!!!!

She is still young, try chopping a small amount of grass and mixing into her food a little bit at a time, she will get used to eating it. Are you feeding her any other greens?

Jeremy 1

5 Year Member
Have you taken her outside on a lawn or garden? Mine will eat directly from the lawn or garden, but not in their enclosure indoors. (Make sure the lawn is clean with no fertilizer or chemicals)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If the breeder didn't introduce grass to the babies, then you will have to spend your time doing it. Hay is more for older ones. I start to introduce dry grass hay when they are around 12".

Chop up the day's greens into small pieces and spray with some water. Then chop up a tiny amount of soft, newly sprouted grass and mix it in thoroughly. When I say a tiny amount, I mean about 2-5% compared to 95-98% of their usual food. If the tortoise refuses to eat it, soak the tortoise and feed it the same mixture for the next day or two. A hungry tortoise will not be a picky tortoise. Over time, gradually increase the ratio of new food to old.

Here are some other food suggestions:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/