my sulcatas!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
heres all my sulcatas in there indoor setup... my big guy mortimer has some bad pyramiding... and my other 2 meatball and sheldon are just hatchlings they all do well together! enjoy!!;)meatball-1.jpgsheldon-1.jpgmortimer-1.jpgmysulcatasetup-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
[/align]That looks like the same thing that I have my sulcata in also :) The three of them look great together.

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
i feed them a mix now of dandilions, clover, lettuce, hays and such. they seem to really enjoy it

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
jobeanator, What are the temps and humidy in your enclosure?
Is that sand you have them on? Do you feed them directly on the sand because it looks as if there is food on the sand. If they injest too much sand it can cause impactions especially in little ones. I would get a piece of slate and perhaps mix the sand with dirt like a mix of dirt 70% & sand 30%.
Just a suggestion to keep your little ones healthy.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
the sand i have in there is called reptilite, its all calcium so if they do eat it, it doesnt hurt them at all

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jobeanator said:
the sand i have in there is called reptilite, its all calcium so if they do eat it, it doesnt hurt them at all

That's not true. Its advertising hype. I've seen baby desert tortoises with impaction (on x-rays) after having been housed on the calci-sand.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
jobeanator, Yvonne is right. I too have seen several especially hatchlings that have died from impactions with this sand. Please be very careful. Remember these companies are out to make $$$$ but often have good intentions, but not the right info. Calci sand or Reptilite does not desolve as they contend. Mix it with dirt at a mix of about 70-75% dirt 30-25% sand, this would be a much safer substrate for your little ones. Place a cuttle bone in the enclosure for additional calcium if you want for them.
Remember we are just trying to help, not just point out deficencies. We want your shelled babies to grow up healthy and strong.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I agree with the sand, stay away from it. I have found the best substrate for the little ones to be Supersoil potting Mix. In California, it is sold at Lowes and Home Depot. It is clean dirt without any fertilizers or bad things added. Yes, there is otehr things, but I recommend Supersoil brand. I learned about it through the Orange County Chapter of the Tortoise Club.

David

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah i did some researched and i guess sand is no good. oh sorry if i was coming off mad in my last post lol:D i wasnt mad or anything, i just thought the sand was alright but i guess it isnt. sorry if i offended anyone i love any help from people on here. but anyways, should i use just dirt as a substrate or what do you guys use?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
No worries Jobeanator, sometimes we get a little defensive especially when we put so much work and care into our torts. Just know we are here to try and help each other. I don't think you offend anyone. And it is clear you are excepting of suggestions.
I've used supersoil like aka2tal or just yard dirt you can mix a little sand in like a 70% dirt 30% sand mixture. This way if they eat any they don't just get a mouth full of sand. You can also use hay. Now for my hatchlings (Greeks) I use shredded Aspen. So any of these will work.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah ive thought about using dirt, since ive wanted to plant my grass seeds and dandilion seeds for them. now would like top soil work or no? would it be alright just to do this? let me know..

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
top soil-Organic - would be fine. Remember if you are not using a bulb that supplies uva (plant) light make sure you get one if the plants are inside. I didn't and it was a disaster for my plants, but then I don't seem to be able to grow any plants inside.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
They are reasonabaly cheap. you can get them about anywhere, home depot, lowes, walmart they are just a plant light, looks like a regular light. If you have a Mercury vapor bulb it puts out uva.

tin_tin0107

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
have you been feeding this diet to the bigger sulcata? im just wondering how he got pryramided

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
my big one had severe pryamiding when i had purchased him. i fell in love with my big one since he came right to me when i went to go buy a sulcata:D his diet now is more high in fiber and i use a reptisun 10.0 bulb for the uvb rays he needs

Status
Not open for further replies.