My Sulcuta tortoise named Rayne.

Sagewomyn

Location (City and/or State)
Sanger
Hello,
I am worried about my Sulcuta tortoise named Rayne is not warm enough. I have a red heat lamp, a Kane heating blanket , straw and even a blanket. I just ordered another heat mat. It won't be here until maybe February 6th. In the meantime, it is in the 30's. When my son checks him, he said his legs are cold. Could I have someone answer me about a heating pad and if they are safe.
I lost my 4 year old Rosie today. She was a rescue that someone had used a machete on her .I have had her about 6 month. I am so sad.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How big is your sulcata? They need to be kept at 80 day and night.
Is he kept outside? If so you need a portable oil filled space heater to keep a tortoise warm enough in cold winter temps.
They also need it dark at night not a red bulb. Straw is not recommended either.
You need to know what the temp is by using a digital thermostat and a infrared temp gun.

Sagewomyn

Sanger
How big is your sulcata? They need to be kept at 80 day and night.
Is he kept outside? If so you need a portable oil filled space heater to keep a tortoise warm enough in cold winter temps.
They also need it dark at night not a red bulb. Straw is not recommended either.
You need to know what the temp is by using a digital thermostat and a infrared temp gun.
What do I put down for him. Hay?

Sagewomyn

Sanger
I need to know the other answers I asked for.
No not hay either.
Can you tell what to use? I've read hay, alfalfa, etc. It gets confusing.
I needed to know about a heating pad until I get the another heating pad

Sagewomyn

Sanger
What do I put down for him. Hay?
Yes , he is kept outside. His box is insulated. Has the basking light and the uv light. His box is also covered with a rain proof tarp and plastic over that. I do not have a digital heat gun.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If your temps are getting too cold then you will need a portable heater.
What are your day and night temps getting too? You can leave the floor wood or use orchid bark or coconut coir. Hay and straw are too dry, can catch on fire and molds easy.
I'm not sure another heat blanket will be warm enough. Depends on the temps you are having.

Sagewomyn

Sanger
If your temps are getting too cold then you will need a portable heater.
What are your day and night temps getting too? You can leave the floor wood or use orchid bark or coconut coir. Hay and straw are too dry, can catch on fire and molds easy.
I'm not sure another heat blanket will be warm enough. Depends on the temps you are having.
Our days are getting to 53 maybe, and night are anywhere from 32 to 43. Next week all in the 30's. I'm going to use a ceramic oil heater too. Thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think just a light and heat blankets will be warm enough. I live in Chicago and heat with a oil filled space heater. Many even in CA have to use the portable space heaters.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
How old and how big is your sully? Do you have your Kane heat mat plugged into a thermostat or rehostat? How big is the enclosure?
Pics would be great.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Depending on your box a radiant heat panel (RHP) on the ceiling work well also. My box for my sully is 4'x4' about 38" high. I have a Kane mat with a 40 watt RHP above. The other half of the enclosure I have a 120watt RHP on the ceiling. We get 30° weather maybe 5 times during winter. Opo's enclosure stays nice and warm without pushing my heat sources to the max.
Also the infrared temp gun is one of the best tools you can have. You can instantly get a temp reading anywhere in the enclosure.
Screenshot_20201118-094349_Chrome.jpg