My sullies learning eating hay

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
My sulcata tortoises are 2,5 years old and well grown. Their appetite increases from day to day. I think it is the right time to introduce them in eating hay. They are not amused at all with my idea, but because I am a "bad" mommy I mix their lettuce with smooth timothy hay.
When they take a bite now they always get some hay with the lettuce. When all lettuce is eaten I saw them eating the hay when they are still hungry. :D

The daily meal:
The torts are waiting hungry .......

DSCN4238.JPG

Hmmm, yummy food .....

DSCN4240.JPG

But wait ! What do you do there "mommy" ?????:eek::eek: Nooooooo....:(:(:( ( say the torts )

DSCN4260.JPG

Why do you put that ugly hay on our food ?????:(:(:mad::mad:

DSCN4253.JPG

Leo ( disappointed ) is taking a bath instead to continue eating:

DSCN4265.JPG

when torts could cry ..... maybe she would........

DSCN4247.JPG

The pet-tortoise world is cruel with little innocent tortoises......:D:D:D

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, thats exactly how I started our Sully to eat hay. I cut it up even smaller, soaked it in warm water to regain some freshness, then incorporated dandelions, greens and Mazuri. They just munch away eating it all up.

Bee62

Germany
You might want to try a grass hay. Timothy hay is not favored by even my 180 lb sulcata near as much as grass hay. TImothy is just so thick and stemmy compared to a grass hay.
Maybe Timothy hay in Germany is different to the hay in the USA ? The hay I buy with this name is very smooth and looks like dryed gras. I know that there are big differences in hay because I owned horses and they prefer hay which is stemmy and hard.
This is the brand I buy, Timothy hay with dandelions

https://www.zooroyal.de/vitakraft-v...ent=771731018c47431226584&utm_source=shopping

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Toretto gets some hay mixed with his greens. He still picks around it mostly but sometimes he eats it:)
Sabine, your torts are just gorgeous!