My thoughts on Mazuri and ZooMed grass land

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Elgin, South Carolina
My sulcatta is about 9" and is in for the winter. She is kept in a 10 x 6 table. I did an expierement with both foods. For two weeks I mixed Mazuri with springmix and some optunia. She ate it all of course and the results were good but her waste was a little on the softer side but not runny. For the next two weeks I fed ZooMed grass land with the spring mix and her results were different. She had much more waste and it was on the dry side with alot of fiber in it. I would say she has been more active and alert with the zoomed then the mazuri. Right now she is getting some western timothy and orchard grass on certain days and a mix of zoomed and mazuri with springmix on the other days. The keeper at the River banks zoo in SC believes in commercial diets all there birds are fed zoopreem mixed with fruits and veggies and there torts are fed mazuri with a ton of greens. They use mazuri because of the discount they get from them because all there mammels use mazuri. Sorry so long. Jay

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I have mixed feelings about Mazuri. I do feed it once a week on a bed of hay but I feel better feeding greens and hay. I will say that Tank was always very small until I started the Mazuri and he has tripled his size in a year. I have never tried the Zoomed. Interesting experiment, I would like to see two same size torts on the two different foods for a year.

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Elgin, South Carolina
Missy said:
I have mixed feelings about Mazuri. I do feed it once a week on a bed of hay but I feel better feeding greens and hay. I will say that Tank was always very small until I started the Mazuri and he has tripled his size in a year. I have never tried the Zoomed. Interesting experiment, I would like to see two same size torts on the two different foods for a year.

It seems some torts don't like zoomed but mine loves it. The ingrediants seem more natural as they have hay, flowers, grasses and​
stuff like that. The pellets look like small hay flakes and mazuri just looks like dog food.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
i like the zoomed grassland stuff my tort likes it to.. he wont touch the mazuri and he was fed only spring mix up until i got him i started the zoomed and more mixed greens he has nearly doubled in weight in 3 months... and yes he has a LOT of waste LOL:rolleyes: how much do you guys feed them? i feed it daily with mixed greens but not much only like 8 pellets that i soften and throw ontop of the greens he usually eats it all:p

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
jojay327 said:
For two weeks I mixed Mazuri with springmix and some optunia. She ate it all of course and the results were good but her waste was a little on the softer side but not runny. For the next two weeks I fed ZooMed grass land with the spring mix and her results were different. She had much more waste and it was on the dry side with alot of fiber in it.

That makes perfect sense as the ZooMed product has a significantly higher fiber content. I am curious, did you soak both the Mazuri and the ZooMed pellet or mix it in dry?

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Elgin, South Carolina
Tim/Robin said:
jojay327 said:
For two weeks I mixed Mazuri with springmix and some optunia. She ate it all of course and the results were good but her waste was a little on the softer side but not runny. For the next two weeks I fed ZooMed grass land with the spring mix and her results were different. She had much more waste and it was on the dry side with alot of fiber in it.

That makes perfect sense as the ZooMed product has a significantly higher fiber content. I am curious, did you soak both the Mazuri and the ZooMed pellet or mix it in dry?

I soaked it, the zoomed just breaks apart into a big pile of mush and the mazuri stays togeather but gets soft. he likes the zoomed and takes big mouth fulls. Thanks

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
My mom amd I each have two CDTs from the same clutch. Her's eat mostly Muzuri and mine get Muzuri about every three or four days. I have a lot of plants and weeds plus buy greens and veggies for the family so I have more veriety avalible. Her torts are a lot bigger than mine. I am not sure if this is good or bad, but is interesting.

Gus

5 Year Member
I'm from singapore the past few years I have fail in keeping star tortoise untill mazuri come about and form than onwards my star start growing well and I would give a Tumb Up for Mazuri but off course not forgetting all the fresh veggi which do a big part in the diet too...

I strongly recommended Mazuri tortoise pellet and should give it a try!!!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
We can't Get mazuri here in UK so i use the Zoomed forest food and i lvoe it and so do the tortoises! :)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
My Little Guy Loves Muzuiri, he will eat Zoomed But not as Much, and yea zoomed has more fiber and hay, grasses.
Muzuri is full of protein

Turtlechasers

10 Year Member!
Jacob said:
My Little Guy Loves Muzuiri, he will eat Zoomed But not as Much, and yea zoomed has more fiber and hay, grasses.
Muzuri is full of protein

I use both along with timothy pellets. I have fed both soaked and dry. With feed effiency in mind, dry is eaten completely. I offer this once daily to my female marginateds in the evening after the natural forage period, to encourage natural forage periods.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I use both but also tend to lean toward the Zoo Med Forest Tortoise diet, I like it and my torts do too. The Mazuri is highly processed grains and molases, the Zoo Med is dried plant, grass, and fruit material (Forest diet, the grassland is probably just grasses). Seems a bit more natural, no?

I'd like to see someone do an experiment with the foods as well. It'd be great if there were 10-15 torts receiving each diet for a year or two, but who could afford 20-30 hatchlings and all the care that goes along with them!?

Status
Not open for further replies.