My tort is quacking?!

Anna!

5 Year Member
My hatchling (somewhere between 2 and 6 weeks) does this weird quacking noise. He makes it often while soaking, but also does it when he is crawling around his enclosure, hanging out on his basking spot, and getting ready to eat. I thought tortoises didn't have the ability to make noises. What is he doing?!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Some adults make chicken like noises when mating season comes around. I'd maybe suspect a breathing/ respiratory problem. Hopefully someone with more expertise will be by soon.

Anna!

5 Year Member
Also, because I know it will be asked of me, ambient temp between 80-85, basking 100-104, warm side 90-95, using MVB and CHE for heat and UVB/UVA, humidity between 75-90, in a closed chamber with coco coir substrate, always has access to water, daily soaks, peeing and pooping fine, no bubbles around nose, activity level fine, eyes look clear and open, feeding him a mix of baby spring mix, wheat grass, regular grass, weeds I grow, he eats some of the succulents in his enclosure and zoomed grassland pellets.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My hatchling (somewhere between 2 and 6 weeks) does this weird quacking noise. He makes it often while soaking, but also does it when he is crawling around his enclosure, hanging out on his basking spot, and getting ready to eat. I thought tortoises didn't have the ability to make noises. What is he doing?!

http://www.quijano.net/tq/turtlesounds.html

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes! That's the noise he makes, only in miniature form because he is tiny! I'm so glad to know he isn't the only one! Thanks!

It is actually a treat to hear them....I had one of the younger redfoot torts serenade (coo) me the other day while watching and waiting for me to clean his water dish and serve him his food offerings.....was very cool....

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Also, because I know it will be asked of me, ambient temp between 80-85, basking 100-104, warm side 90-95, using MVB and CHE for heat and UVB/UVA, humidity between 75-90, in a closed chamber with coco coir substrate, always has access to water, daily soaks, peeing and pooping fine, no bubbles around nose, activity level fine, eyes look clear and open, feeding him a mix of baby spring mix, wheat grass, regular grass, weeds I grow, he eats some of the succulents in his enclosure and zoomed grassland pellets.

Ha Ha. That's pretty funny. The standard round of questions are ask for a reason and with no offense intended.

Anna!

5 Year Member
KeeperGale- not even a little offense was taken! I've just read enough threads at this point to know that I need to give you guys as much information as possible so you can help me out! I'm just happy that anyone is willing to give me good answers and advice!