My tort just laid an egg and I wasn't expecting it! (new owner HELP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortaholic

5 Year Member
We're up to egg #3! She had it while I was gone so I'm not sure how long it sat there till I got back. Will that hurt anything? And if it were turned before I got to it will that hurt the chances of hatching?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
When in doubt, incubate. If it was less than 24hrs old when you found it, it probably is okay with regard to having been turned. My only major concern would be if it had been overheated under a lamp or other heating element, but still - go with my first sentence.

Tortaholic

5 Year Member
So the incubator I got is a simple chicken egg deal with water in the bottom. It's keeping the temp but I don't think it has the humidity needed. They're in a tupperware bowl with coconut coir (because I can't find vermiculite around here) and I put a lit over it with holes in it but there's still a lack of humidity.

Any ideas of what I can do to raise the humidity? Would sand be better since I can't find the vermiculite? I read that you're not supposed to spray them so I'm at a loss. :/

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Sit them on prepared incubation medium in deli cups. Put two to four pinholes in the lids and put the lids on the cups. That should work. A little bit of gas exchange and a slow loss of moisture. Gladware also works.

Tortaholic

5 Year Member
Well, Shella laid 4 eggs and seems to be done. The first egg isn't quite 3 weeks along, it's a healthy pink color but no veins yet.

Thought you might like an update. Keep your fingers crossed! :)

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 63

Tortaholic

5 Year Member
I don't think the 3rd egg is good (the small one). It's not looking like the other 3. :(

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Tortaholic said:
I don't think the 3rd egg is good (the small one). It's not looking like the other 3. :(

It might still surprise you. Fingers crossed for you!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

Tortaholic

5 Year Member
Just tried to candle them, now I'm thinking 2 of them are bad. The one is now clear and the small egg all the dark is in the bottom of the egg. I think I'm not doing something right. :(

It takes 7-10 weeks or so for them to hatch.

And I should be seeing some veins in the first egg by now and I'm not.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I dont know,i hope someone here is going to let u know asap

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.