My tort won’t come out of his hide. Is this bad?

1289Gabe

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego California
My tort will wake up up, eat, maybe drink, then go back in his hide and sleep. Is this okay? Are my lights to strong? I have a 5.0 uvb bulb (the long ones) and I can’t tell what kind of bulb, but here’s a picture

image.jpgimage.jpg
:image.jpgimage.jpg

tgirl23

Southern California
Usually hatchlings sleep a lot. However they do need a specific set up. You wont be able to tell if your lights are too strong by looking at it. You need to get a heat temperature gun reader so that you can measure the heat level throughout the enclosure to ensure that it is the perfect range. I'm not sure what tortoise you have, (I'm guessing a leopard due to your pic?) But they generally need the heat to range from 80- to a basking spot of 100. Here's a link on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMI632G/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tort will wake up up, eat, maybe drink, then go back in his hide and sleep. Is this okay? Are my lights to strong? I have a 5.0 uvb bulb (the long ones) and I can’t tell what kind of bulb, but here’s a picture

:View attachment 304550View attachment 304551
5.0 bulbs produce almost no UV. They do no harm, but if you are relying on that bulb, and your tortoise doesn't have occasional time outside in a safe enclosure in the sunshine, it will not be getting the job done.

The pictured bulb is a spot type. Not harmful, but it will make your tortoise pyramid more than a flood bulb.

Have you read and followed all of this?

Little details can make a big difference. Is the tortoise in a humid closed chamber? What substrate? With a little spot bulb and a 5.0, the enclosure might be too dark. Have you tried adding an LED for more light?

1289Gabe

San Diego California
5.0 bulbs produce almost no UV. They do no harm, but if you are relying on that bulb, and your tortoise doesn't have occasional time outside in a safe enclosure in the sunshine, it will not be getting the job done.

The pictured bulb is a spot type. Not harmful, but it will make your tortoise pyramid more than a flood bulb.

Have you read and followed all of this?

Little details can make a big difference. Is the tortoise in a humid closed chamber? What substrate? With a little spot bulb and a 5.0, the enclosure might be too dark. Have you tried adding an LED for more light?
The enclosure seems pretty bright, and a take him out for like thirty minutes every day or two

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There's your problem. Open topped enclosure. Its also not bright enough and much too dry. Your baby is going to grow slowly and pyramid in an enclosure like that. You need a large closed chamber that you can keep warm and humid. I also don't see any night heat. How are you keeping the baby warm at night? Are you soaking daily?

This environment is not good for a baby leopard tortoise. The lack of activity may be due to declining health. What does the baby weigh? How much is it growing weekly? How long have you had it?

1289Gabe

San Diego California
There's your problem. Open topped enclosure. Its also not bright enough and much too dry. Your baby is going to grow slowly and pyramid in an enclosure like that. You need a large closed chamber that you can keep warm and humid. I also don't see any night heat. How are you keeping the baby warm at night? Are you soaking daily?

This environment is not good for a baby leopard tortoise. The lack of activity may be due to declining health. What does the baby weigh? How much is it growing weekly? How long have you had it?
Had it a year, night heat is a heating pad, but propped up against the side, because I’ve heard pads are bad. How would I weigh him?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Had it a year, night heat is a heating pad, but propped up against the side, because I’ve heard pads are bad. How would I weigh him?
Heating pads are dangerous and should not be used with tortoises.

Weigh with a digital scale. Do an internet search and you'll find many.

Here is the info you need to get your tortoise healthy and thriving: