My tortie isn't walking right...

Kellbell006

Location (City and/or State)
Mesa
So our little Russian tortoise got out of his enclosure and somehow..And injured his front legs. I have been soaking him in every few days in dilute chlorhexidine and keeping the wounds clean. but he still isn't walking properly..it's only been about 2 to 3 days tho. Do they ever get better once the wounds healed or do I need to have him put down?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
So our little Russian tortoise got out of his enclosure and somehow..And injured his front legs. I have been soaking him in every few days in dilute chlorhexidine and keeping the wounds clean. but he still isn't walking properly..it's only been about 2 to 3 days tho. Do they ever get better once the wounds healed or do I need to have him put down?

Sorry to hear. Maybe you can upload some pictures so folks can see the extent of the wounds. Keep the wounds clean, give your tort nice warm water soaks. Not sure if you should have on clean paper towel substrate to keep clean?

Kellbell006

Mesa
Sorry to hear. Maybe you can upload some pictures so folks can see the extent of the wounds. Keep the wounds clean, give your tort nice warm water soaks. Not sure if you should have on clean paper towel substrate to keep clean?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201102-164904~3.png
    Screenshot_20201102-164904~3.png
    315.3 KB · Views: 6

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

Are the wounds on the back of the front legs?

If the wounds are only flesh wounds, they should heal over time. Chlorhexadine is not made to be used long term. I would soak in warm water, then apply some triple antibiotic cream to the cuts/scrapes.

However he hurt his legs, he might be sore inside them, plus the scrapes pull the skin and are painful. After the wounds are healed, the soreness should go away too, and he should start using his legs normally.

The thing is, torts heal very slowly. Something you would have healed in a week might take him a month or more. It's a long, slow process.

So have patience with him. Can you take some pictures of the wounds? Are they super deep like damaging a nerve? If we can see them, we have members who can help.

Kellbell006

Mesa
Are the wounds on the back of the front legs?

If the wounds are only flesh wounds, they should heal over time. Chlorhexadine is not made to be used long term. I would soak in warm water, then apply some triple antibiotic cream to the cuts/scrapes.

However he hurt his legs, he might be sore inside them, plus the scrapes pull the skin and are painful. After the wounds are healed, the soreness should go away too, and he should start using his legs normally.

The thing is, torts heal very slowly. Something you would have healed in a week might take him a month or more. It's a long, slow process.

So have patience with him. Can you take some pictures of the wounds? Are they super deep like damaging a nerve? If we can see them, we have members who can help.

Thank you! And I kinda thought that he might be just sore and don't blame him. Okay I'll just use water and I have been using triple anti already.

PXL_20201102_234128543.jpgPXL_20201102_234131880.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That looks like rat or dog damage. I feel bad for him.

Does he have secure housing at night? A closed shelter where critters can't get to him?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you! And I kinda thought that he might be just sore and don't blame him. Okay I'll just use water and I have been using triple anti already.
That tortoise is in bad shape. Take it to a vet ASAP for an evaluation of its condition and proper treatment.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That tortoise is in bad shape. Take it to a vet ASAP for an evaluation of its condition and proper treatment.
I agree with Zovick. Since you don't know what happened, and x-ray can confirm or deny broken bones, and the vet may have some topical antibiotic ointment that will help the healing process. I've been using a new product called Vetricyn on me and all my animals for wound care. The stuff is like magic.

Kellbell006

Mesa
That looks like rat or dog damage. I feel bad for him.

Does he have secure housing at night? A closed shelter where critters can't get to him?

He actually has a huge outdoor enclosure and he dug out.. when we found him he was stuck behind some bricks.. and I think he was trying to get back out and couldn't and scraped himself badly training. Now that we found the hole it's closed up and we are treating him.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i've seen totoises looked like that after being chewed on by rats ....... i third zovicks suggestion , the safest thing for that guy is a vet and antibiotics .......

Kellbell006

Mesa
i've seen totoises looked like that after being chewed on by rats ....... i third zovicks suggestion , the safest thing for that guy is a vet and antibiotics .......
We don't have rats anywhere around us. He def injured himself on the bricks we found blood on side where he was. I'm gonna take him to vet for sure.

Kellbell006

Mesa
I agree with Zovick. Since you don't know what happened, and x-ray can confirm or deny broken bones, and the vet may have some topical antibiotic ointment that will help the healing process. I've been using a new product called Vetricyn on me and all my animals for wound care. The stuff is like magic.
Thank u!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We don't have rats anywhere around us. He def injured himself on the bricks we found blood on side where he was. I'm gonna take him to vet for sure.
Everyone in the entire world has rats around them. Maybe not in a temporary outpost in far southern Antartica, but even that is a maybe...

Kellbell006

Mesa
Everyone in the entire world has rats around them. Maybe not in a temporary outpost in far southern Antartica, but even that is a maybe...
I've lived in my home for 6+ years I've never SEEN a rat NEAR MY home!

First of all I don't appreciate your

First of all like I said I've never SEEN a rat around my home in the 7 + years I've lived here. Your answer is invalid we are past the point of WHAT you think happened..I asked for help on WHAT to do not be patronized Tom. Thanks

stigrk

Oslo, Norway

First of all like I said I've never SEEN a rat around my home in the 7 + years I've lived here. Your answer is invalid we are past the point of WHAT you think happened..I asked for help on WHAT to do not be patronized Tom. Thanks

You do not see rats unless there is a huge over population. That you think there is no rats because you havent seen them just demonstrates your inexperience.

Mind you, I am not saying your tortoise was gnawed by rats, but your statement about no rats because you have not seen them is ludicrous.

Rats are everywhere on this planet where there are humans. Only difference is in their relative numbers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Simmer down Sport. No one is insulting you.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales

Poor guy. I second those who reccomend a vet, this guy is in pretty bad condition. In the meantime, get him off dirt, he needs to be kept clean, and needs to be kept at the top of his temperature range for the next several weeks at least. Heat drives their metabolism and immune system so you need his kicking strong as it can.

Repeated application of Chlorhexadine can irritate a wound, it really should only be used for a day or two at the beginning then you can switch to something less irritating, although I would speak to a vet about this, there are a few options they might reccomend. There is a food supplement product called Arkvits, it is a combination vitamin and calcium supplement with some evidence suggesting it helps increase immune response, it wont hurt to start using that a few times a week.

The only reason people are concerned about the possibility it was a rat is because it will happen again if you are mistaken about it not being a rat. But really for his immediate treatment the cause is irrelevant.