my tortoise always wants to escape....

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Roseville, Minnesota
For the outside enclosure: my parents are ok with me putting cinder blocks in our vegetable garden. the size will be 3.5 ft by 7 feet, one cinder block tall. Not sure what to do for the lid (to keep predators like hawks, crows, and possibly raccoons out) and I'll dig something into the dirt so he can't dig out. I'll probably do this next summer, cuz summer is drawing to an end and fall's semi cold weather is approaching. I'll also grow some tortoise friendly vegetables in there. I got a question..... Will normal dirt with some compost be ok? And we have a pine tree somewhat above the garden that will drop some pine needles in there making the dirt somewhat acidic, will this be ok?

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
So I'm finding lots of good looking bookcases..... but they all have flimsy cardboard backs. I can't find a single bookcase with a wooden back! Can you guys help me find a bookshelf that's about 7 ft by 2 feet (doesn't have to be exactly that), wood with cherry finish (kind of brownish, can also be black), has a solid back (wood, not cardboard) and at about a hundred buckshot or less. If not, do you think i could get a bookshelf with cardboard back and somehow harden the back? if so, how? thank you!

turtlemanfla88

I have used landscape timbers then make a square lid with 2 by 4. I use 1/4 wire for hatchlings on up to 3-4". for larger animals 1/2 wire or bigger wire. you will need a level, hammer,nails, I use these u shaped nails for my wire on lids I also, have used a staple gun. a saw for cutting.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
I have used landscape timbers then make a square lid with 2 by 4. I use 1/4 wire for hatchlings on up to 3-4". for larger animals 1/2 wire or bigger wire. you will need a level, hammer,nails, I use these u shaped nails for my wire on lids I also, have used a staple gun. a saw for cutting.
Thanks! :) do you think I could just do the wire thing, place that on top of the cinder blocks, then do a few weights to keep it in place?

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
So I'm finding lots of good looking bookcases..... but they all have flimsy cardboard backs. I can't find a single bookcase with a wooden back! Can you guys help me find a bookshelf that's about 7 ft by 2 feet (doesn't have to be exactly that), wood with cherry finish (kind of brownish, can also be black), has a solid back (wood, not cardboard) and at about a hundred buckshot or less. If not, do you think i could get a bookshelf with cardboard back and somehow harden the back? if so, how? thank you!
Never mind, I found a bookshelf for 40 bucks, but it has a cardboard back. So what I'll do is ill have my dad cut out a piece of plywood with his table saw to the right dimensions, then I'll slip the it in and it'll get bolted in so the weight is on the plywood, not the cardboard!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Never mind, I found a bookshelf for 40 bucks, but it has a cardboard back. So what I'll do is ill have my dad cut out a piece of plywood with his table saw to the right dimensions, then I'll slip the it in and it'll get bolted in so the weight is on the plywood, not the cardboard!

Make sure you put plastic over the wood to keep it water proof! A plastic shower curtain works great!

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
Make sure you put plastic over the wood to keep it water proof! A plastic shower curtain works great!
oops i forgot to reply to you.... i just did the normal reply when you dont direct it to someone. yeah thanks! i forgot to mention that but i was gonna do it. good idea! ill use a shower curtain.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Oh, maybe. But then couldn't he go to the other side? The heat lamp is only on one side.
Even if its only on one side, what is the cool side's temp? The watt of your bulb may be too high.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I don't know 110 is awfully hot (for russians) maybe he's having trouble thermoregulationg.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yup, temps for greek tortoise on the basking spot is 95 to 105, so it's a little to warm directly under the basking light. But that'll be fixed with the new enclosure, cuz it has higher walls[/QOUTE]
See, 100s would be too hot for my tort! Another great thing to do instead of a shower curtain (mine always ripped when he dug down :( ) is to use that spray on water proof finish. It comes in clear too :D Totally safe for pets, but I let mine air for a couple days anyway. Much better success with it :)

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
huh, never though about that! but when i want to change all the substrate i would want a tarp so i could pick it all up....... i dont know. how much for that spray?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
huh, never though about that! but when i want to change all the substrate i would want a tarp so i could pick it all up....... i dont know. how much for that spray?
I bout a three pack at costco for 12 bucks. I only used half a can lol! I think you can get one at the home depot for 15 or something like that :)