my tortoise always wants to escape....

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Roseville, Minnesota
hi this is my first post. recently (the past month or so) my greek tortoise borris is trying to get out of his cage, and 5 times he succeeded. i just want him to be happy in his habitat! a few times a week i take him outside, and then hes happy and roaming everywhere. if hes been outside for like 1-2 hours, he just sleeps in his habitat. but if i bring him for less than that, he tries escaping. his habitat is a 4 ft by 2 ft under-bed storage container, with about 7 inch walls. i was thinking of maybe making a second container, then have a ramp for him to go to the other habitat. any help will be much appreciated!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
He's learned he can escape. He'll never stop trying. Increase the height of the walls, cap the corners, and make him an outdoor escape proof habitat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, in warm weather tortoises should be outside. I would also make a larger inside enclosure. The two containers with ramp,will work.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, if they can see through the enclosure, that will make them want to escape more.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I've decided that I'll not do the ramp thing, I'll probably get a big bookcase (3 feet by 6.5 feet) from Ikea and use that without the shelves. I'm not 100% sure I'll do that (I've just given my parents the idea, the thought it is a good idea). Here's the bookshelf.... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40279788/
Use the shelves to increase the height if the enclosure :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
yard sales, thrift stores.. cheaper finds there...
needs bigger.. and should be outside in a safe enclosure as much as possible.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
yard sales, thrift stores.. cheaper finds there...
needs bigger.. and should be outside in a safe enclosure as much as possible.
Oh, ok. I'll try to find cheaper ones. I would LOVE to make an outdoor enclosure but I can't find an easy/ inexpensive way to do so. I could have my dad help me make a wood enclosure but he has other projects and wood is just so expensive. Also, I'd only have it out in the summer, as in Minnesota and it can snow 4 feet so I don't know how I would store a 10 by 10 ft enclosure..... any help please?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
cinder blocks. kiddie pool with dirt and plants, shade. make sure it doesnt rain.. 1x10 boards secured in a square, make sure they cant dig out..

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
cinder blocks. kiddie pool with dirt and plants, shade. make sure it doesnt rain.. 1x10 boards secured in a square, make sure they cant dig out..
Where can I get cinder blocks? For how much? I feel that that's the easiest way make a big enclosure.... I've seen that post of the kiddie pool, and I think it would be be too small.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
Never mind, found em at home depot for 1.15 a block, can I get cheaper than that? (I know that it's really inexpensive, but I'll need at least 25 blocks. I guess 30 bucks isn't too bad.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Where can I get cinder blocks? For how much? I feel that that's the easiest way make a big enclosure.... I've seen that post of the kiddie pool, and I think it would be be too small.
I searched on google and found this:

The traditional places to look are actual stores like Home Depot, Lowes, and other home improvement stores. You could also check mason supply yards if you are comfortable going to those places, and if you do you might find a great deal.
The general price of cinder blocks will range from less than a dollar to two dollars or more for each block. How much you pay will sometimes be random, but often there will be a connection with the quality of the block, so don’t settle for something cheap if you need to make sure they’ll hold against the weight and forces you’ll be subjecting it to. The cinder block cost at home improvement chains like Home Depot will run you around $1.00 to $1.50, though you may get a better deal if you buy in bulk or if you find a sale.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
I searched on google and found this:

The traditional places to look are actual stores like Home Depot, Lowes, and other home improvement stores. You could also check mason supply yards if you are comfortable going to those places, and if you do you might find a great deal.
The general price of cinder blocks will range from less than a dollar to two dollars or more for each block. How much you pay will sometimes be random, but often there will be a connection with the quality of the block, so don’t settle for something cheap if you need to make sure they’ll hold against the weight and forces you’ll be subjecting it to. The cinder block cost at home improvement chains like Home Depot will run you around $1.00 to $1.50, though you may get a better deal if you buy in bulk or if you find a sale.
Thanks! But how am I supposed to a lid? I was looking at other post and apparently chicken wire isn't strong enough to keep things out. Sometimes hawks live in my trees and hawks are tortoises main predators.....

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Cinderblocks come in different widths. The narrow ones are lighter & cheaper. It's easy to expand the habitat later if you want to, so don't feel locked into the original size.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
It could also be that his temps are too hot. Tortoises will try and escape to find cooler temps.