My tortoise Ares crashed after vet visit. Please help!!!

Barbecue

Location (City and/or State)
Myrtle Pt., Oregon
Took to vet yesterday for recheck since still not eating or pooping. 2 weeks now. He took another xray, the inpacted "rocks", noted by first vet were gone. The xray did demonstrate what this guy called a fecal ball, and alot of gas. He was admitted, got injectable meloxicam, sub q fluids, and mineral oil via stomach tube. When I went in afternoon to get him, I noticed he was weak. He was not weak when I brought him in that morning. Head seemed wobbly, and could not lift his plastron above ground when walking. Vet quickly reassessed, agreed he was suddenly extremely weak. Could not fathom what had happened.. Took Ares home and he can not walk at all. Or lift his head. Last night he did forcefully move all 4 extremities very briefly when I picked him up. So it has been about 18 hours now. He has not moved. Eyes closed but will open them immediately if I pick him up, then close again. Tail muscle still very strong
What the heck should I do? Is it stress?? Should I stimulate or leave him alone
Help me please, I am beside myself
Gosh, I am so sorry u r having to go threw this. I really think maybe trying the warm soaks. Maybe everyday for awhile 15 to 20 minutes. I like 82 degrees. I don't know what other members Temps r That they like to do but Daisy likes it. Relaxes her. Not to deep. Good luck buddy.

Attachments

• 20220424_104323.jpg
    20220424_104323.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220424_104224.jpg
    20220424_104224.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4

NancKj

San Fernando Valley, CA
Update on Ares the desert tort
Just now saw all these responses and suggestions from the weekend!! I wasn't getting any alerts, so thought I had no new replies!! Thank you all so much!
Thanks Yvonne and Wellington for the info regarding baby food and tub size! I will do that supplemental soak today.
Ares is much stronger. He does not seem to want to come out of his burrow in the am. Once I physically take him out, and sit him in the sun, he lies still for about 15 min, then starts trucking all over the yard, eventually getting back to his enclosure. He still will not eat, and does not seem to drink when soaking in kiddie pool. He acts for all the world like he has just come out of brumation. Daytime temps here in the 100s and nightime lows mid 60s. He is in his outdoor pen.
Am I doing the right thing by making him be active? I do not want to wear him out if he is trying to conserve energy to get better.
My Agoura Hills vet wants to do one more xray, to see if gas in intestines has lessened. If not, he will refer him to Dr Molnar I think is the name! I believe this is the vet in Calabasas that Tom most strongly recommended at the beginning of this ordeal. Tom and everyone, does this all sound like a reasonable plan?

MaNaAk

Southend
Thankyou @wellington, @NancKj and others,

I have started to what you suggested with Daisy those that have read my other threads will know that is under a vet. The vet is very good if I may add as he wants Daisy to be fitter especially if she needs an operation (she may need to be spayed). I started with a short soak with baby food (I need to by the other stuff) and whilst I need to see if this does the trick I was pleased to see Daisy trying to lift her shell without my help and if @NancKj hadn't posted her thread I wouldn't have done this so thankyou. How is Ares now and how old is he?

MaNaAk

NancKj

San Fernando Valley, CA
Hi MaNaAk!
I am glad to hear your Daisy is doing better and that you have a good vet! Ares is a CDT that was found wandering in the street 28 years ago already fully grown. The finder was not feeding or housing him properly. I knew only because I researched desert tort care to try to help this guy take care of him. He had no interest in making any effort to do things right, and he refused to give me the tortoise. So I offered him 100.00. He grabbed that, I grabbed tort, and the rest is history, so they say. So I have had him for 28 years. I guess he could be 38 or 68...I have been told there is really no way of knowing...Perhaps the experts here know a way??

MaNaAk

Southend
Hi MaNaAk!
I am glad to hear your Daisy is doing better and that you have a good vet! Ares is a CDT that was found wandering in the street 28 years ago already fully grown. The finder was not feeding or housing him properly. I knew only because I researched desert tort care to try to help this guy take care of him. He had no interest in making any effort to do things right, and he refused to give me the tortoise. So I offered him 100.00. He grabbed that, I grabbed tort, and the rest is history, so they say. So I have had him for 28 years. I guess he could be 38 or 68...I have been told there is really no way of knowing...Perhaps the experts here know a way??
I think it's to do with the lines on the shell. Daisy is about 79 and Jacky is 86.

MaNaAk

Tobimickey

los angeles
Hi NancKj
I am so sorry what you are going through. I live in Los Angeles, California. My question what is the name or hospital that you took your tortoise?

MaNaAk

Southend
Hi MaNaAk!
Does anyone here know how you can tell the definite age of a tortoise @wellington or @Tom? Anyway does anyone soak their tortoise in their bath?

MaNaAk

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Her spurs are very good and scratched me when I brought her in and drew blood. Her partner Daisy who is 79 with inflamed joints also managed to prove that she could shove me if she is picked up. Greeks aren't called Spur-thighed tortoises's for nothing 😂🤣

MaNaAk
I wear gloves when handling so I can keep then safe with strong grip and avoids any wounds!

MaNaAk

Southend
Daisy had her medication this morning so I just gave her a short soak with the baby after I got home from work. I had fun soaking her because I was rocking her and trying to get her to swim and she was certainly moving her front and looking like a turtle! Also I was enjoying chanting "1. 2. Do the hokey cokey!😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣!" Poor Daisy was probably thinking "I have been jabbed, forced to swallow horrible liquid and now this!" Anyway when I put her back out at just before bedtime she was quite active and started digging a bed for herself.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
Good afternoon everyone.

I posted in the wrong thread Daisy has produced some results thankyou all so much. Only tortoise owners can know how I feel! Hope Ares is okay.

MaNaAk