My tortoise ate this and I don’t know what it is

Location (City and/or State)
Omaha, Nebraska

You can use an app called PlantSnap to take a picture of it and see what it is, which is what I did. That came back as "Fig Buttercup" or Ficara Verna Verna.

I then used The Tortoise Table app and searched to find that plant. I didn't find that specific name, but the below info came back, which looks to be the same flower...

"Lesser Celandine contains the glucoside Protoanemonin, and if ingested in sufficient quantity could cause nausea, vomiting and in extreme cases paralysis, so it should be avoided. Do not confuse with Greater Celandine."

Since it says "sufficient quantities" I would say you have nothing to worry about unless he ate a bunch of them.

I would just make sure he doesn't eat anymore and then keep an eye out for any of the above symptoms. Obviously, if those symptoms present, you may want to contact a vet...

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And don't let your tortoise have access to any plants you don't know from here on out.

Salisbury
And don't let your tortoise have access to any plants you don't know from here on out.
I usually don’t, he was in his enclosure outside and manage to get out, he is a Russian and is always escaping. I have fixed the hole now

Salisbury
You can use an app called PlantSnap to take a picture of it and see what it is, which is what I did. That came back as "Fig Buttercup" or Ficara Verna Verna.

I then used The Tortoise Table app and searched to find that plant. I didn't find that specific name, but the below info came back, which looks to be the same flower...

"Lesser Celandine contains the glucoside Protoanemonin, and if ingested in sufficient quantity could cause nausea, vomiting and in extreme cases paralysis, so it should be avoided. Do not confuse with Greater Celandine."

Since it says "sufficient quantities" I would say you have nothing to worry about unless he ate a bunch of them.

I would just make sure he doesn't eat anymore and then keep an eye out for any of the above symptoms. Obviously, if those symptoms present, you may want to contact a vet...
Thank you very much, that’s really helpful.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I usually don’t, he was in his enclosure outside and manage to get out, he is a Russian and is always escaping. I have fixed the hole now
I am convinced that the entire Russian tortoise species has the ability to levitate when humans aren't looking. Any day now we are going to see some footage from someone's surveilance cameras overlooking their tortoise pens. Any day now...

ZenHerper

New Jersey
They really live to escape.

I don't know any reason to not give liquid charcoal if you think he ate a lot of a naughty thing. Most drug stores carry it. A few ccs drizzled over a snack.