My tortoise enlcosure help

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield Nottinghamshire United kingdom
Raise the bulb just a little bit.
I can't that is the highest it can go as I'm trying to mount it inside I'm trying toms idea iv got a grey large pebble out my fish tank and selotaped the digital temp probe to it which is about were Clydes shell would be and sat it directly under the bulb its been under 15 mins and the reading is at mo 32.7 so I'm goin to leave it about an hour and c what it reads with temp gun :)

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Can't imagine it being anything other than incandescent in that shape and wattage. You just want something that will make visible light and heat - these bulbs will do that.
Thank you @SarahChelonoidis much appreciated as my enclosure as a plexitop on Iv got a hole cut out for my basking light but I'm losing my humid air it's goin dry very quick so I'm wanting to try lower wattage bulbs so that I can place them inside and make it a complete closed chamber so I'm hopin these bulbs will do that can these also be used in my light dome fixture?

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Is this bulb any good for basking also

i would suggest an MVB, gives heat and UV . when we hat a tort table, it was enough to keep temps up, however the hide had an overhead heatmat. for overnight temp. for additional light in our closed camber, we use a plane old stip light, like in the kitchen? it try hunt down my thead on the table, hopefully it'll help :)

Laura1412

5 Year Member
i don't think it's for basking, just heat?
I'm having a night mare getting a basking bulb to use iv had the 50w basking flood in my enclosure last night n it's blown this morning that's 3 Arcadia flood bulbs all been faulty but all the bulb in reptile shop are just basking spots and I don't want one of them coz to much heat in one place tom uses just a regular incandescent bulb from hardware store but I can't find um in our stores so I was wanting to try n get a descent bulb that will give enough heat out any ideas :-(

Laura1412

5 Year Member
i would suggest an MVB, gives heat and UV . when we hat a tort table, it was enough to keep temps up, however the hide had an overhead heatmat. for overnight temp. for additional light in our closed camber, we use a plane old stip light, like in the kitchen? it try hunt down my thead on the table, hopefully it'll help :)
The thing is iv had to take out the mvb coz was too hot inside my enclosed table even the 80w making my enclosure way to hot

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
I'm having a night mare getting a basking bulb to use iv had the 50w basking flood in my enclosure last night n it's blown this morning that's 3 Arcadia flood bulbs all been faulty but all the bulb in reptile shop are just basking spots and I don't want one of them coz to much heat in one place tom uses just a regular incandescent bulb from hardware store but I can't find um in our stores so I was wanting to try n get a descent bulb that will give enough heat out any ideas :-(

i have heard arcadia are rather good at refunding! worth ab email;)
it may be a fault elsewhere? perhaps the wires or bulb socket? amazon is great for supplies:)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
The thing is iv had to take out the mvb coz was too hot inside my enclosed table even the 80w making my enclosure way to hot

are you able to raise the hight? does your bulb have a 'flood dome?

perhaps changing out the plexi top for a shower curtain 'tent' would work? would help with humidity, though let out heat?

Laura1412

5 Year Member
are you able to raise the hight? does your bulb have a 'flood dome?

perhaps changing out the plexi top for a shower curtain 'tent' would work? would help with humidity, though let out heat?
No not able to raise the height and yea iv got a black lamp dome with my bulb on if I could just find a decent lower wattage bulb I would be sound but it's just finding one coz all our reptile websites sell basking spots :-(

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
No not able to raise the height and yea iv got a black lamp dome with my bulb on if I could just find a decent lower wattage bulb I would be sound but it's just finding one coz all our reptile websites sell basking spots :-(

i'm sooo sorry, i just seen your post on that thread!

is your basking bulb on a thermostat? if so that may be why they keep popping?

Laura1412

5 Year Member
i'm sooo sorry, i just seen your post on that thread!

is your basking bulb on a thermostat? if so that may be why they keep popping?
No not on a stat it's not they keep pooping in my dome it's only one that's gone in my dome the others av come and not even worked wen put it and 2 av come rattling that make of bulb must just be crap :-(