My tortoise enlcosure help

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
No not on a stat it's not they keep pooping in my dome it's only one that's gone in my dome the others av come and not even worked wen put it and 2 av come rattling that make of bulb must just be crap :-(

sounds like a bad supplier to me :(

if you can, post up pictures, lots of em :). , i found it helped a lot to 'tweek' ... sometimes it's as simple as a fresh pair of eyes:)

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Mansfield Nottinghamshire United kingdom
sorry,my fault :/i meant of your current set up. im still biased towards an MVB and CHE if needed, i think a 'tent' might be the easiest option, your overnight room temp is probably enough?
Yea my room temp is ok at night I'll post pictures tomorrow as I'm not in with tort table at mo :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I'll just keep buying different bulbs and trying um in my enclosure with the hole covered and monitor temps till I find one that I can I decent 35c basking spot :)
Girl! You are on THE MISSION:) I like that! That's exactly what i did at the beginning: made MANY, many trips to pet supply and home improvement store looking for the bulbs, heat sources, insulation, therm/hygrometers... you name it. I'll tell you one thing: by the time you get things 1/2way to your satisfaction you'll be another one of those best resources for the "newest newbies":) I had to experiment with different bulb/che wattage ranging 40-100 depending on the temps/humidity outside and if our windows are open or a/c or heat running. Your enclosure has covered top so it will be much easier for you to get things under control. One thing though you may or may not need to consider at some point. I know your top cover is plexi of some sort and not sure how well it will insulate your enclosure in case if big discrepancies between the enclosure and the room air temps. If you keep that room rather on a cooler side, and if that plexi cover lets too much heat out, there maybe a need for a layer of insulation. I will be watching your progress and cheering on:)

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Girl! You are on THE MISSION:) I like that! That's exactly what i did at the beginning: made MANY, many trips to pet supply and home improvement store looking for the bulbs, heat sources, insulation, therm/hygrometers... you name it. I'll tell you one thing: by the time you get things 1/2way to your satisfaction you'll be another one of those best resources for the "newest newbies":) I had to experiment with different bulb/che wattage ranging 40-100 depending on the temps/humidity outside and if our windows are open or a/c or heat running. Your enclosure has covered top so it will be much easier for you to get things under control. One thing though you may or may not need to consider at some point. I know your top cover is plexi of some sort and not sure how well it will insulate your enclosure in case if big discrepancies between the enclosure and the room air temps. If you keep that room rather on a cooler side, and if that plexi cover lets too much heat out, there maybe a need for a layer of insulation. I will be watching your progress and cheering on:)
Thank u @Pearly its seems like a Neva ending taskin trying to find a suitable basking lamp I have got a che and thermostat also which is in there now so if it did ever drop to cold the che would keep up the temps also my own living room where his table is situated runs by thermostat n Neva drops below 21 so hopefully I'll Neva av that problem I keep reading different threads for advice to tweet mine but the bulb and things that are advised I can't get them in the uk so it's just a stab in the dark and do it gradually so I don't stress clyde :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thanks iv not got it iv stuck wi coir :)

Wow...I am exhausted after reading this thread :). OK so I was going to reply to your pm but figured better to first read your thread to follow your efforts.

OK so to start with..I do not host Russian tortoise...However, there is not a huge difference from Costs and Russians...So let me just say what pops in my peanut as I read your thread..This is a species that likes warm...Along with cool downs...Some warm moisture ...But also cool dry micro climate..I personally would set up the enclosure to have constantly warm moist area...Along with a cool dark dry area...Then an area offering a hot spot..now humidity,. Some will agree and some will not...All based on their own life experiences...Kinda like the set up you will establish...So, if it were me....I would set up as many micro climates as possible within the enclosure being certain to offer the warm moist...Cool dry...Hot spot...Hiding spots between each area...Set up a food and water spot....Then step away and allow the tort to develop his own daily routine....If you offer each individual requirement the tortoise will establish his own jig....It may be just what he is needing...Not all species...Not all tortoise fit into a closed high humidity environment as a full time set up....They are surprisingly easy going if they have access to their min requirements...But most do not do well with lots of change...Especially if the tinkering is constantly going on...Take a moment to review where this species naturally lives..Lol at picks of natural surroundings...Normal temps day and night....Then monkey see monkey do....Then back off and let the tort set up his own daily routine.... The tort will utilize what it needs...Also.....A tort is not a busy creature.....They are a bit private..Sneaky by appearance..Solo critters.... :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wow...I am exhausted after reading this thread :). OK so I was going to reply to your pm but figured better to first read your thread to follow your efforts.

OK so to start with..I do not host Russian tortoise...However, there is not a huge difference from Costs and Russians...So let me just say what pops in my peanut as I read your thread..This is a species that likes warm...Along with cool downs...Some warm moisture ...But also cool dry micro climate..I personally would set up the enclosure to have constantly warm moist area...Along with a cool dark dry area...Then an area offering a hot spot..now humidity,. Some will agree and some will not...All based on their own life experiences...Kinda like the set up you will establish...So, if it were me....I would set up as many micro climates as possible within the enclosure being certain to offer the warm moist...Cool dry...Hot spot...Hiding spots between each area...Set up a food and water spot....Then step away and allow the tort to develop his own daily routine....If you offer each individual requirement the tortoise will establish his own jig....It may be just what he is needing...Not all species...Not all tortoise fit into a closed high humidity environment as a full time set up....They are surprisingly easy going if they have access to their min requirements...But most do not do well with lots of change...Especially if the tinkering is constantly going on...Take a moment to review where this species naturally lives..Lol at picks of natural surroundings...Normal temps day and night....Then monkey see monkey do....Then back off and let the tort set up his own daily routine.... The tort will utilize what it needs...Also.....A tort is not a busy creature.....They are a bit private..Sneaky by appearance..Solo critters.... :)

On line three of my response I typed in CDTs and Russians...but my super smart phone decided CDTs should have been costs....Apologize

Laura1412

5 Year Member

Thank u @ascott i much appreciate ur response I think finally I'm sorted he seems ok Iv got my temps sorted iv got my humidity sorted now he is spending a lot of time at the moment in his hide box but with help from Russian tort keepers this is not un usual he comes out daily some days he's out longer then others but he always eats basks and wee/poo on occasions he will potter about his enclosure a bit others times he will go to bak into his hide box he is very alert wen out and seems to be ok :)