1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

My tortoise has a black spot on side of face! Help!

Discussion in 'North American Tortoises (genus Gopherus)' started by Kaylie Sampson, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Kaylie Sampson

Kaylie Sampson New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Paradise Valley Az
    My Desert Tortoise Has a major black spot I found this morning, I’m really nervous to why and what is it?! She falls over sometimes and maybe it’s a scab?! And it’s only on one side!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2017
  2. Kaylie Sampson

Paradise Valley Az
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)

She’s still not even one year yet!
  3. Kaylie Sampson

Paradise Valley Az
    I just saw this last night!!! She has a black spot on one side of her face. She falls over sometiems and I thought maybe it was a scab?! She doesn’t seem to be in any pain, she’s eating and drinking and being active as normal! Tried googling it but didn’t come up on anything

0219F565-6ACA-4EFF-869E-49F5A08D1EFD.jpeg 4E389A64-3E4E-4518-898F-4EEB728434A8.jpeg
  4. Tidgy's Dad

Tidgy's Dad Well-Known Member

Fes, Morocco
    This is the ear covering, the tortoise ear is hidden from view by scales.
    Is it the same on the other side?
    It is possible the tortoise has rubbed it , or it is just shedding the scales in this area.
    Does the tortoise seem irritated by this?
  5. Kaylie Sampson

Paradise Valley Az
    There’s a little black spot appearing on other side as well but not nearly as dark or big as the other side. She seems normal to me not doing anything out of the normal

8410D427-13A8-49DF-8CD6-C847EEEAA3DF.jpeg
  6. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Clovis, CA
    Hi Kaylie: Sorry, I don't know what this could be. If it were my tortoise and it doesn't scrub off with a soft brush, I would keep it lubricated with a tiny dab of Neosporin. If it doesn't clear up, maybe a tortoise vet would be able to give you some advice.

Also, it looks like you're keeping the little guy in a dry habitat, as I see quite a bit of pyramiding going on. Soak him in warm water daily for about 15 minutes, and moisten his substrate so he's living in more humid conditions.
  7. Kaylie Sampson

Paradise Valley Az
    Okay, just confused? They live in the desert where it’s dry so why is it that she needs. Posture? What would you recommend for the habitat instead of wood chips? Also explain to what pyramid is exactly so I know what to look for!
  8. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Clovis, CA
    Yes, they live in the desert, but not out in the open where birds and other critters can eat them. They go into burrows where they poop and pee to bring up the humidity. They hide under bushes and shrubs where it's a bit more humid. Some of our more experienced members have undertaken to do experiments with hatchlings, raising them in the desert-like conditions we all thought was the right way, and raising another group in a more humid environment. Guess what? The desert group grew bumpy shells, while the humid group grew smoothly.

A pyramided desert tortoise:

[​IMG]

A smooth desert tortoise:

[​IMG]

My favorite substrate is fine grade orchid bark. It looks like you're using cypress mulch. That's good too, but you need to wet it. A lot of members here use coco coir. I don't like it, but it's a personal choice.
    Cat Cat and Bambam1989 like this.
  9. Kaylie Sampson

Paradise Valley Az
    Okay Thank you so much!!!