My Tortoise has a death wish. I don't know what to do.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
My juvenile Redfoot seems to have a death wish lately. She keeps flipping herself upside down and she doesn't seem to be able to right herself. She's never done this before but over the past 3 weeks I've found her upside down multiple times. She's been in the same indoor and outdoor enclosure this whole year and she's always been content and didn't climb the walls. However, in about the past few weeks she's constantly trying to climb the walls and ending up on her back. I found her upside down outside 3 times in one day. Each time she had defecated herself and I have no idea how long she was like that. The last time when I righted her she kept turning her head to the side and opening her mouth. After a few minutes she was ok. I stopped putting her outside for the time being ever since. Now today in her indoor enclosure she was found 3 times thru out the day upside down in her water dish and had defecated herself again. I don't know what to do or what's causing this. I can't stay home from work everyday and monitor her and I'm afraid I'm going to find her dead. Anyone else ever experience something like this?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Bag the most recent sample. Label it (date and approximate time, if available) and put it in the freezer. If Marge gives you another more recent sample, throw the previous one away and keep the fresh one in the freezer. Contact your reptile vet and see if they want to see her or run the sample or whatever.

Make sure you're using appropriate biosecurity protocols (isolation, good hygiene) until this one gets resolved. Just my opinion.

I've been trying to read up on various diseases in tortoises lately, and right now I don't remember what I've seen where. I do think you need to run those symptoms by a competent reptile veterinarian, though. It will give you a head start on solving the mystery, and it may help in the peace of mind department.

zovick

10 Year Member!
My juvenile Redfoot seems to have a death wish lately. She keeps flipping herself upside down and she doesn't seem to be able to right herself. She's never done this before but over the past 3 weeks I've found her upside down multiple times. She's been in the same indoor and outdoor enclosure this whole year and she's always been content and didn't climb the walls. However, in about the past few weeks she's constantly trying to climb the walls and ending up on her back. I found her upside down outside 3 times in one day. Each time she had defecated herself and I have no idea how long she was like that. The last time when I righted her she kept turning her head to the side and opening her mouth. After a few minutes she was ok. I stopped putting her outside for the time being ever since. Now today in her indoor enclosure she was found 3 times thru out the day upside down in her water dish and had defecated herself again. I don't know what to do or what's causing this. I can't stay home from work everyday and monitor her and I'm afraid I'm going to find her dead. Anyone else ever experience something like this?
Hello Todd,
I would keep the tortoise inside as you decided to do and also temporarily eliminate the water dish as well as anything else on which the tortoise may try to climb. Try using potted plants (real or artificial) under which it can hide to change the landscape. I would use a lot of plants which look like fountain grasses or vines hanging over the sides of the pots so the tortoise can get under the leaves to feel secure.

There is a good chance the tortoise got overheated outside from the reaction you mentioned. It is a good thing you found it when you did.

Until the tortoise stops tipping itself over, I would recommend just soaking it rather than giving it access to the water dish.

Good luck.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
There are plenty of times I’ve had tortoises go hyperactive but flipping multiple times a day is pretty extreme. It’s also odd timing as my redfoots are very inactive right now due to the heat. Is she eating normally? Any other changes recently? I agree with all of Bill’s comments. I’d even go to the point of dimming the lights a bit to see if she feels more secure.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Have you added new turtles or tortoises lately? Other than the ones you've hatched, that is.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
There are plenty of times I’ve had tortoises go hyperactive but flipping multiple times a day is pretty extreme. It’s also odd timing as my redfoots are very inactive right now due to the heat. Is she eating normally? Any other changes recently?
Ya eating normally. She's been inside for about a week and a half now since the incidents outside. She's been pretty chill in her enclosure, until today. No changes I can think of.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Have you added new turtles or tortoises lately? Other than the ones you've hatched, that is.
A while back I did get another male slider, it's been several months though. They're all in the basement, Marge is upstairs. Her and Murphy haven't even had any contact in several months because of Murphys raging testosterone ?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
A while back I did get another male slider, it's been several months though. They're all in the basement, Marge is upstairs. Her and Murphy haven't even had any contact in several months because of Murphys raging testosterone ?
Understand. It's one of those questions we needed to ask. ?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would put a camera in there to see how she is flipping, and go from there based on the video. trying to get out? scratch her butt? neurological issue? you could probably rule some possibilities out via video

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
In the short period of time that I had babies inside the house. I did notice that the same baby was found flipped over 4 or 5 times. The same one and no others.
I mean as long as there are no obvious flip hazards, some seem more prone to flipping than others.
They definitely flip over less as they age and they also get better at righting themselves.
The only other flipper I ever had was a large male (Pedro) whom I found outside almost every day upside down due to his constant attempt at mating. The cause was obvious.
He was rehomed and has hopefully stayed on his feet ever since then.
Oh, and the stress of being upside down makes them poop and pee themselves.
She'll be dehydrated from the experience

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Bag the most recent sample. Label it (date and approximate time, if available) and put it in the freezer. If Marge gives you another more recent sample, throw the previous one away and keep the fresh one in the freezer. Contact your reptile vet and see if they want to see her or run the sample or whatever.

Make sure you're using appropriate biosecurity protocols (isolation, good hygiene) until this one gets resolved. Just my opinion.

I've been trying to read up on various diseases in tortoises lately, and right now I don't remember what I've seen where. I do think you need to run those symptoms by a competent reptile veterinarian, though. It will give you a head start on solving the mystery, and it may help in the peace of mind department.
I am certainly no expert, but in my limited experience the longer a tortoise is on it's back the more stressed out they are and diarrhea results. Make sure water is available, oh and when turning any chelonia back over don't do it quickly, just turn it normally, you 'could' twist their gut and kill'em...happy daze

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Well I have a three day weekend so I figured why not build a new enclosure. This is the idea I have for a temporary solution, and I hope this is just a faze. All four walls of the enclosure will have a board that comes from the corner out at a about a 22.5 degree angle. My thinking is she won't be able to climb the wall if it comes out at an angle above her head. I drew a super detailed rough blueprint to show what I mean.IMG_20200904_173051750.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
How did she do today? Any flipping or diarrhea?
Not today. Luckily, my 88 year old grandmother lives with me currently. She was able to be my eyes in the field today. She said she climbed the walls a little but she didn't find her upside down.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Not today. Luckily, my 88 year old grandmother lives with me currently. She was able to be my eyes in the field today. She said she climbed the walls a little but she didn't find her upside down.

Have you tried putting small sized pebbles on the corner, like something slippery enough to where the tortoise won't get enough solid footing to stand themselves up.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Well I have a three day weekend so I figured why not build a new enclosure. This is the idea I have for a temporary solution, and I hope this is just a faze. All four walls of the enclosure will have a board that comes from the corner out at a about a 22.5 degree angle. My thinking is she won't be able to climb the wall if it comes out at an angle above her head. I drew a super detailed rough blueprint to show what I mean.View attachment 305324

That looks like a fantastic idea!

marie.hunter7

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Can I please follow this? We have two Hermann at just over a year old and one keeps doing this too...