My tortoise has buried himself over 8 feet deep

Nosuchlogic

Location (City and/or State)
Barstow
Just in case...while digging, also treat this like a lost tort.

Try putting food and water near a spot where the early AM sun hits and he might be likely to bask.

Tell any children that he's lost. Offer a reward to whoever finds him. Kids are good at looking for them. Maybe put food near the burrow entrance as well. Make him want to come out if he can.

What's his name?

And we're almost neighbors...I'm on the Salton Sea.
His name is "Over The Top". We originally had 3 and we would always find him on top of the others. Sadly they were stolen many years ago ?.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210420-111659_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210420-111659_Gallery.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 40

Nosuchlogic

Barstow
Oh my! Does the burrow go straight back, or does it take a turn down?
What kind of tortoise?
Can you see him?
Hi KarenSoCal, we found him.????. It appears as though he had passed away several months ago ??. Today is a very sad day. I want to thank you and everyone else for your ideas and comments. God Bless.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi KarenSoCal, we found him.????. It appears as though he had passed away several months ago ??. Today is a very sad day. I want to thank you and everyone else for your ideas and comments. God Bless.
Oh goodness. I’m so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I am so very sorry for your loss. Please know I will be holding you close to my heart.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Oh, my gosh, I'm so sorry for your loss.
That being said, this is/could be a VERY dangerous situation. For future information, as a retired Sewer maintenance technician, this would be considered a "Confined Space Entry".
People die going into situations like this. I don't want to be an alarmist, BUT, if you are EVER put in this situ, Be VERY careful.
A word of advice....