My tortoise has scabs where her shell rubs on her skin. HELP!

mhbrazier

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Utah
Hello all!

I am new to this forum, but I need some advice. I have had a russian tortoise for six years and I've never had this problem before. Since about July I have noticed my tort, Sheldon, has scabs on her face, neck, and her 'armpits', all in places either her shell rubs or where her skin is constantly folding. I've been soaking her every other day in warm water for about two weeks and I'm not sure if it is helping or not. I've also been working on keeping her inclosure humid (which is difficult during a hot, Utah summer).

Also, I have a heat lamp for her since she is outside at night. The temperature is starting to get as low as 58 degrees at night. Is my heat lamp strong enough to keep her warm at night?

Any advice will be appreciated!!
(Sorry for the poor quality photos)

Attachments

• sheldon_scabs.JPG
    sheldon_scabs.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 45
  • sheldon_scabs_2.JPG
    sheldon_scabs_2.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 40
  • sheldon_scabs_3.JPG
    sheldon_scabs_3.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 39

DARKFIRE007

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham Alabama
I don't see any shell dangers right off, maybe a tad sharp above the neck? Nothing a gentle session with a nail file won't solve. The "pits" as you said, I don't see a shell danger, if anything it looks rounded. Adults don't require a lot of humidity, some but not much. I doubt that is the issue.

I would check for sharp shell areas and file them down as gently as you can. Keep up the soaking. I would also ask around if there is a safe cream you can use, I have no idea myself but I bet there is a few you can use. Vaseline perhaps would ease friction (if safe to use).