my tortoise hasn't moved!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Have you picked him up? Checked to see if he's alright? Sometimes they sleep in, sometimes not.

Franklin10

5 Year Member
PeanutbuttER said:
Have you picked him up? Checked to see if he's alright? Sometimes they sleep in, sometimes not.

I Just did now what... he wont come out of his shell hes cuddled in... but hes awake..:(

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I'm not an expert, but I would place him near the heat lamp and see if that will help him warm up and come out of his shell.

Has he been lethargic, not eaten much, or anything that would otherwise indicate some sort of change in behavior/health?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Franklin10:

May we know your name?

I think your baby sulcata is too cold. Do you keep some sort of heat on him at night?

Franklin10

5 Year Member
PeanutbuttER said:
I'm not an expert, but I would place him near the heat lamp and see if that will help him warm up and come out of his shell.

Has he been lethargic, not eaten much, or anything that would otherwise indicate some sort of change in behavior/health?

nope nothing irregular... but I know what it is now i think hes cold

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Franklin10 said:
PeanutbuttER said:

nope nothing irregular... but I know what it is now i think hes cold

Oh glad to hear it, that's an easy fix. That's why I recommended placing him near the heat lamp :)

Franklin10

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Franklin10:

May we know your name?

I think your baby sulcata is too cold. Do you keep some sort of heat on him at night?

yea I have the CHE on him at night it keeps the temp at 77 the highest ive seen it... is that good?? my name is Rudy thanks you guys for the help if there is anything I need to know let me know

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
77 is too low. How far away is the CHE and how big's the enclosure? Do you have any pics by chance?

Franklin10

5 Year Member
PeanutbuttER said:
77 is too low. How far away is the CHE and how big's the enclosure? Do you have any pics by chance?

the enclosure is little right now he/she stays in a 10 gal tank. I am still doing research so I know what to build for him/her what the needs are... for the pix. I will post them later on today

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
i have a small undertank heat mat for my hatchling and he stays directly over it all thru the nite it still get colder in the actual rubbermaid box i got him in so i mite even apply a red nocturnal heat lite at nitetime also

Franklin10

5 Year Member
SILVERSTAR said:
i have a small undertank heat mat for my hatchling and he stays directly over it all thru the nite it still get colder in the actual rubbermaid box i got him in so i mite even apply a red nocturnal heat lite at nitetime also

hmm... what is the temp. in your box??

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Research is good, a good enclosure makes all the difference in the world for a happy, healthy tort, but basic needs in the meantime MUST be met, and I know what a struggle that can be, especially in a 10G, that's pretty small.

Two factors can play heavily here,
First, this a new tort to you right? and a baby? This whole thing is very scary to them. New places, new smells, it all makes them want to hide. There is a degree of just letting them be to get used to everything. I'm dealing with an unhappy tort as well, that never moves. I've made sure her environmental and physical needs are met, and just leave her be in hopes she'll get out of her depression.

Second, if the environmental and physical needs aren't met, health can deteriorate rapidly, which may compund the urge to hide, which can make things worse as they may not self-regulate their needs enough (move around to maintain body temp).

I would think any CHE should more than adequately heat a 10 gallon, in fact I'd be scared it could easily cook a tort in there. We really don't want them to bask under a che all night long. The deep penetrating radiation could lead to some serious dehydration. Usually torts want a warm, cozy hide to sleep in, from what I know. I usually place a tile next to a hide at one end of an enclosure, and place the CHE over both. That way the hide gets warmed by the CHE and keeps the tort warm, without the CHE cooking the tort directly, and they'll come out and bask when/if they need to.

I believe baby Sulcata need mid 80s? You really can't get much of a gradient in such a small enclosure.
For the time being you may consider buying a large plastic storage tub for a temporary enclosure, they can be had at hardware stores for under $20.

If you haven't read this yet, please do

http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies

Franklin10

5 Year Member
Balboa said:
Research is good, a good enclosure makes all the difference in the world for a happy, healthy tort, but basic needs in the meantime MUST be met, and I know what a struggle that can be, especially in a 10G, that's pretty small.

First, this a new tort to you right? and a baby? This whole thing is very scary to them. New places, new smells, it all makes them want to hide. There is a degree of just letting them be to get used to everything. I'm dealing with an unhappy tort as well, that never moves. I've made sure her environmental and physical needs are met, and just leave her be in hopes she'll get out of her depression.

Second, if the environmental and physical needs aren't met, health can deteriorate rapidly, which may compund the urge to hide, which can make things worse as they may not self-regulate their needs enough (move around to maintain body temp).

I would think any CHE should more than adequately heat a 10 gallon, in fact I'd be scared it could easily cook a tort in there. We really don't want them to bask under a che all night long. The deep penetrating radiation could lead to some serious dehydration. Usually torts want a warm, cozy hide to sleep in, from what I know. I usually place a tile next to a hide at one end of an enclosure, and place the CHE over both. That way the hide gets warmed by the CHE and keeps the tort warm, without the CHE cooking the tort directly, and they'll come out and bask when/if they need to.

I believe baby Sulcata need mid 80s? You really can't get much of a gradient in such a small enclosure.
For the time being you may consider buying a large plastic storage tub for a temporary enclosure, they can be had at hardware stores for under $20.

that's exactly what I was going to do in the first place ugh:( I usually do my research first then do what I do but for some reason I just when out and got the tortoise and now i have to do this the hard way (sigh) thanx

This is important so when I went to the local pet shop they where feeding the sulcatas greens i didnt bother to ask but it looked like romaine lettuce is that ok?? Ive been trying to give it cactus pad strips but it wont eat it what else should i try???

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Weeds; mallow, filaree, dandelion, sow thistle, plantain, etc... Grass. Mulberry, rose, hibiscus and grape leaves. Hibiscus and rose flowers. Spineless opuntia cactus. Mazuri mixed in with other greens a couple of times a week. Spring mix and leafy greens from the grocery store. Variety is good. Avoid fruit, and use foods like spinach, broccoli, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, very infrequently, if ever. When they get big, over a foot, you can try to introduce dry grass hay. But babies usually won't eat it.

copy pasted right from Tom's page :)

Spring mix is a good place to start. If they don't feel well, they're not likely to eat. I wouldn't worry as much about that for a while, make her/him comfortable first, and if then they still don't eat, get worried.

Look for any kind of grocery store leafy greens that aren't lettuce first, nothing wrong with lettuce, but it can't be the staple. Escarole, Endive, Turnip Greens, Collards, Kale are all good usually available tort foods. If it tastes kind of bitter and nasty to you, its usually good food :)

Franklin10

5 Year Member
Balboa said:
Weeds; mallow, filaree, dandelion, sow thistle, plantain, etc... Grass. Mulberry, rose, hibiscus and grape leaves. Hibiscus and rose flowers. Spineless opuntia cactus. Mazuri mixed in with other greens a couple of times a week. Spring mix and leafy greens from the grocery store. Variety is good. Avoid fruit, and use foods like spinach, broccoli, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, very infrequently, if ever. When they get big, over a foot, you can try to introduce dry grass hay. But babies usually won't eat it.

copy pasted right from Tom's page :)

Spring mix is a good place to start. If they don't feel well, they're not likely to eat. I wouldn't worry as much about that for a while, make her/him comfortable first, and if then they still don't eat, get worried.

Look for any kind of grocery store leafy greens that aren't lettuce first, nothing wrong with lettuce, but it can't be the staple. Escarole, Endive, Turnip Greens, Collards, Kale are all good usually available tort foods. If it tastes kind of bitter and nasty to you, its usually good food :)

thanx

M

Maggie Cummings

Franklin10 said:
Balboa said:

that's exactly what I was going to do in the first place ugh:( I usually do my research first then do what I do but for some reason I just when out and got the tortoise and now i have to do this the hard way (sigh) thanx

This is important so when I went to the local pet shop they where feeding the sulcatas greens i didnt bother to ask but it looked like romaine lettuce is that ok?? Ive been trying to give it cactus pad strips but it wont eat it what else should i try???

Go to the grocery store and in the produce section you will find in a plastic see thru box Spring Mix. It's a precut salad mixture that is pretty good for baby Sulcata, then you can add some Romaine and collards, and red leaf and green leaf lettuces or whatever other dark leafy greens you see in the store. Mix some of that all cut up with the Spring Mix and that will carry him and you thru the winter. I don't mean just that one box :) but I mean Spring Mix will carry you thru until Spring comes and you can put him out to graze.

Now, I don't have anything against keeping a small tortoise in a glass tank, but a 10 gallon tank is too small. The smallest acceptable one would be a 20 gallon long tank. But the bigger the better, so you need to see about upgrading your enclosure. Go to one of the big box stores (Walmart, Kmart Target) and look at their plastic storage box section and see what you can get.

Next is substrate and I recommend cypress mulch or small grade orchid bark.
Lots of keepers use co co coir and sand.

Next is lighting...you need a UVB light or a MVB light and I have and recommend Trex bulbs but I guess they are not producing right now and I don't know whats out there, so somebody else will have to tell you about lights.

You want him to have a hot end of 100 degrees and the coldest end would be 80 degrees. He shouldn't get any colder then 80 as long as he is so small.
For now that's it from me, keep asking questions and welcome to the forum...HTH

Franklin10

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Franklin10 said:
Balboa said:

Go to the grocery store and in the produce section you will find in a plastic see thru box Spring Mix. It's a precut salad mixture that is pretty good for baby Sulcata, then you can add some Romaine and collards, and red leaf and green leaf lettuces or whatever other dark leafy greens you see in the store. Mix some of that all cut up with the Spring Mix and that will carry him and you thru the winter. I don't mean just that one box :) but I mean Spring Mix will carry you thru until Spring comes and you can put him out to graze.

Now, I don't have anything against keeping a small tortoise in a glass tank, but a 10 gallon tank is too small. The smallest acceptable one would be a 20 gallon long tank. But the bigger the better, so you need to see about upgrading your enclosure. Go to one of the big box stores (Walmart, Kmart Target) and look at their plastic storage box section and see what you can get.

Next is lighting...you need a UVB light or a MVB light and I have and recommend Trex bulbs but I guess they are not producing right now and I don't know whats out there, so somebody else will have to tell you about lights.

You want him to have a hot end of 100 degrees and the coldest end would be 80 degrees. He shouldn't get any colder then 80 as long as he is so small.

thanx maggie :)

Franklin10 said:
maggie3fan said:
Franklin10 said:
Balboa said:

thanx maggie :)

Is there anything I need to take out of the spring mix??

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
nope, maybe rocks, twigs or deads bugs if you see them :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Balboa said:
nope, maybe rocks, twigs or deads bugs if you see them :)

There are people who say to take out the spinach, but I don't think there's enough in the mix to bother, and I think a little spinach is good for them. But other keepers will tell you that all spinach is bad. I personally don't believe that, I think some spinach is good if you feed a varied diet. I have been known to add spinach to my 'tort salad'.

Status
Not open for further replies.