1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

My tortoise ... hates, loves, unhappy, lonely... some part of it's life.

Discussion in 'Advanced Tortoise Topics' started by Will, Nov 3, 2016.

1. drew54

drew54 Well-Known Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Indiana
    When tiny humans are born they are born sociopathic and narcissistic. Survival instinct is all that is known until the brain develops enough for the baby to learn empathy from the mother. Natural basic emotions begin to become present also. Basic emotions and gestures are universal which suggests that basic emotions and gestures are innate. Pretty interesting. I would love to see videos of everyone's tortoise interacting with them.
    Cathie G likes this.
  2. Cathie G

Cathie G Active Member

Lancaster
    I think humans never understand anything until they actually experience it themselves. I'm guilty of that but I hope to become a better person without having to learn thru experience. It hurts. I am trying to learn how to do this internet stuff and post pictures and videos. I promise I will soon.
    Toddrickfl1 and TammyJ like this.
  3. Cathie G

Cathie G Active Member

Lancaster
    No wonder the guy didn't actually gain the animal's trust. You have to be sincere with the animal and then they will give you the gift of their trust. I guess they don't like being a guinea pig. Do u blame them?
    TammyJ and drew54 like this.
  4. drew54

drew54 Well-Known Member

Indiana
    let's say that you recreated the experiment. Your relationship to the subject is your own hatchling. Your level of care is top notch and you're very caring for your tiny tort. Do you think you would have better results than let's say a person who want emotionally connected not cared for the tiny hatchling?
    Your statement about trust has me curious.
    Cathie G likes this.
  5. Cathie G

Cathie G Active Member

Lancaster
    This is a hard question to answer because I've had so many strangely beautiful encounters of the animal kind.lol... I just have always enjoyed watching animals be themselves. I can type some examples. I had moved into the home I presently live in. In the early morning, as I was heading to work, I had to walk through the back yard to my van. Every morning there was a wild rabbit waiting for me by my van. I couldn't see him and I was looking. Then he would take off running and brush his body across me. If he wanted he could have hurt me. I didn't feed or raise him so what was that? I was only years old. My mom, 3 siblings, and I were out picking blackberries in the woods and got our buckets full. When we were walking home we had to cross over a ditch next to the road. I'm a really small person so I didn't jump the ditch. I walked on the grasses through the ditch. Well...I stepped on a probably 8 foot mommy black snake. All she did was raise her head and part of her body and look at me. I would have bit me. I lived and worked in a wildlife sanctuary in southwest Florida. I always thought I wanted a turtle. Then I met my first wild gopher tortoise. She loved apple slices and I would hand feed her a few once in awhile. One day I was giving her some slices and she was so eager for the apples she almost bit me. She pulled her head back to keep from biting me. So I'm asking, what was that? She probably didn't want to pollute herself but she also interacted with me. I did fall in love with tortoises. I've had many encounters over 65 years with many different animals. My life in the sanctuary was really interesting but my favorite was the tortoise.
    TammyJ and drew54 like this.
  6. drew54

drew54 Well-Known Member

Indiana
    Your story is very interesting. I think all creatures want some sort of interaction. That doesn't mean they all want to sit and have a cup of tea with you and discuss world events. The instance with the rabbit I think many people have ran into animals who have done similar things. I know I have. Depending on where you want to go with the explanation that will most definitely impact the answer. oBviously)

The snake not biting you is very interesting also. Maybe you didn't really step on it. Maybe it was just luck. I have no idea. Coyote Peterson might say it has to do with respect. One thing I do know is that there are so many variables to every situation it's hard to know for sure. Maybe if you stepped on the snake again it will bite you. Who Knows.
    Cathie G likes this.
  7. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Jamaica
    Hmmm. I feel the same way. and I think I may be a closet narcissistic sociopath.....Oh dear.
  8. Cathie G

Cathie G Active Member

Lancaster
    Yes that's so true...but I did step on her because I felt her body move under my foot. As I got older I've learned to watch my feet while walking in their habitat. I think mommy black snakes are an essential part of our environment. I certainly wouldn't want to hurt her by stepping on her again. People kill them simply because they are afraid of snakes but they keep rats, mice, and even poisonous snakes under control. Like I said I would have bit me if I was her but she didn't.
    drew54 likes this.
  9. drew54

drew54 Well-Known Member

Indiana
    I had a similar experience. My cousin was driving my brother and I around on his three wheeler and went right into a yellow mustard field. We hit a bees nest or something and he and my brother were stung over 30 times each. I wasnt stung at all not even once. Which was a remarkable outcome because I'm highly allergic and I most likely would've died within minutes.
    Cathie G likes this.
  10. Cheryl Hills

Cheryl Hills Well-Known Member

Youngstown, Ohio
    I have had an experience with a rattle snake years ago. I worked with mentally challenged people. We were at camp and I noticed one of my girls hitting something with a stick. When I went over it was a rattle snake. I got between her and the snake which put it about a foot away from me. As I turned to see what it was doing, the snake was going the other way. Good for both of us!
    Cathie G and drew54 like this.
  11. drew54

drew54 Well-Known Member

Indiana
    Seems like the three of us got very lucky.
    Cathie G and Cheryl Hills like this.
  12. Cathie G

Cathie G Active Member

Lancaster
    I think we are blessed. I've had more experiences then that one. I'm sure most people that actually love animals have had similar things happen to them. Isn't it wonderful. But I'm not saying to trust an animal because in the right circumstances stuff can go south real quick...
    drew54 likes this.