My tortoise health

SuperGoKana

I've had my Russian desert tortoise for about 9 months now, and he has not yet gone to the vet for a check up. I soak him in water roughly every two to three days and feed mainly kale, along with other greens and grape tomatoes. He's two or three years old and sleeps most of the time when I don't have him out. He sneezes pretty often, too. I've been considering doubling his terrarium size and buying another tortoise to keep him company when I can't. Am I taking good care of him well enough and is this a good idea? Thanks!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412691076.451875.jpg

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Hi! Welcome to TFO!
First off, russian tortoise are not desert tortoises! They are grassland/semi arid land tortoises, and don't do well in dry conditions! And second, tortoises are NOT social animals! They thrive alone and can be very territorial/and aggressive! That diet is not good, and he should be soaked more :( What's his enclosure like? Substrate? Bulbs? Temps? the rundown, please! I'm sorry if I'm sounding evil, but it doesn't sound like he's getting great care!
Please read these-
http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/russian-tortoises.81/
-and if you can, post pictures of his setup, so we can help you and your little guy :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi:

I know they look cute, but its really not a good idea to keep those cover thingeys on a tortoise. They need to expose as much of their shell as possible to the UVB rays of the sun in order to be healthy.

Russian tortoises are browsers. That means they eat broad-leaf plants and weeds. They wander over miles eating a bit of this and a bit of that. They don't usually sit in one spot and eat a whole meal of, for instance, kale. He needs more of a variety of foods to be healthy. Also, I wouldn't give him any fruit - and tomato is a fruit. Its hard to tell because so much of him is covered up, but I'd be willing to bet he's older than two.

If you buy him a 'friend' you are going to be upsetting the balance. Russian tortoises will fight to the death to chase other tortoises out of their territory.

So, bigger enclosure (outside is best), a more varied diet, a bit more humidity in the enclosure and a good UVB light when he's indoors so he can warm up and get his UVB.

SuperGoKana

Thanks! And you don't sound evil, I'm actually grateful that you posted here. I upgraded to a new terrarium, but the ceiling is higher and I suppose the light doesn't hit him as well. He was given to me as a gift and is from petsmart (I know store bought is bad but you know he needed care) and apparently they said that his breed which was labeled "Russian/desert tortoise" was a dry climate tortoise. Perhaps I don't quite know his species exactly. I've made plans to make the lights hit him more directly but cutting holes in the top, as they are limited through the holes top. Thanks for this, obviously I'm not incredibly well educated, and I want the best for my little guy. And by the way, he rarely wears that sweater.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hi! Coming here to get better care for your guy is a big step in the right direction! If you are committed we can give you a lot of ways to change your torts care for the better. First forget everything you were told by Petsmart... I was told when I bought mine there that mine was a baby & a boy.. SHE is not a baby...This is pretty typical of them.
2nd: Read this care sheet & follow it as best as you can:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
3rd- post a picture of your enclosure & lets see what we can fine tune!

SuperGoKana

I apologize, but I order to get a picture of need to be home and I won't be there until about 4 MTN time, so I'll describe it best I can. It's about a foot to a foot and a half tall and five-ish shell lengths long, and two-ish wide. He had a half log just big enough for him to fit his whole body, a fake plant, a real small bamboo plant in a small pot, and a little Easter island head. I think it used to be a large fish tank that we added a bottom layer of bedding (well not bedding, te woodchip looking stuff) The top was custom constructed and has tons of little holes. On top are two large lights, one heat light, and one UV light. At night I put a small UR light on for him. I hope this is a good enough description and would like any feedback or possible improvements you could give me.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
The substrate (bedding) is a good choice for a russian. I would make sure it is deep enough for him to dig into- about 4-6 inches at least. They like that. I would worry about that amount of heat coming down on him ( you said you had: two large lights, one heat light, and one UV light but that they are high up???) Russians like it a little cooler but they need a basking area (uv heat light) of 95 degrees and the rest of the enclosure in the mid high 70 degree range. They need that 95 temp to help them digest their food. You should also consider your uV light position- the farther away from the tort the less uv rays hes getting. About 12- 18 inches up from him is normal.
I would also make sure you are not using a coil type bulb like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00101GDIG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
these have had cases linked to them of eye damage & other health issues.
One of these would be all that you would need & this brand is awesome:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Main questions would be:
1) do you know what temps you have- sneezing sounds like it could be a respiratory infection (which would require a vet visit) and that is something they get more often when the temps are too cool.
2) do you give him any supplements- vitamins? I really like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JP3XJ2/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Stay away from the tomato or give very rarely. You want a diet of a variety of leafy greens & weeds.

Looking forward to seeing your enclosure!

SuperGoKana

His light is actually the same one as the one in the second picture! I suppose he doesn't have a basking area, how could I set that up? And 6 inches of bedding seems like a lot, is it supposed to be a lot? And I'm gonna go out and buy him more greens today. As far as outside goes, how can I make sure he doesn't get anything unhealthy and what would be a good outdoor environment? And how often should I soak him in water and for how long?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
His light is actually the same one as the one in the second picture! I suppose he doesn't have a basking area, how could I set that up? And 6 inches of bedding seems like a lot, is it supposed to be a lot? And I'm gonna go out and buy him more greens today. As far as outside goes, how can I make sure he doesn't get anything unhealthy and what would be a good outdoor environment? And how often should I soak him in water and for how long?

And 6 inches of bedding seems like a lot, is it supposed to be a lot?
-Yes it does sound like a lot but these guys like to dig in, its in their nature!

And I'm gonna go out and buy him more greens today. As far as outside goes, how can I make sure he doesn't get anything unhealthy
-
Here's a good web site to help you id weeds. Some store greens, if you have to, are fine but the key is to mix it up. I grow a lot inside. Or you can pick them from a yard you know has not been treated.
http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp

If you must buy at a Grocery Store, here are some good Options
and what would be a good outdoor environment?
I use cinderblocks because they are cheep & sturdy. You will need to cap all your corners so he can not climb out. Russians are master escape artist. Several people use plastic kiddie pools filled with dirt & plant them with weeds or seed mixes

And how often should I soak him in water and for how long?
I do mine every other day for 15 to 20 mins never letting the water get cool. Should be warm, like you would for a baby.
- a good way to judge would be by looking at your torts urates (the white stuff they poo out) Urates should be creamy like bird poo, not chunky or cottage cheese like. A well hydrated tort will not pass any or will rarely ever pass them. This is another reason to always have a water dish in the enclosure that they can climb into.

SuperGoKana

This is his terrarium

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412719675.555880.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412719675.555880.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 20

SuperGoKana

New and improved!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412728697.143410.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412728697.143410.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 18