My tortoise is about a year and a half old now. Can you tell if it is female or male?

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hello, it looks too young to tell. What type of tortoise is it? Is it a Russian?

Last edited:

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Looks like a hermanns. With that plastron and the nails.
Hey there,
The Western Hermann’s will have more of two distinct black strips on either side, Eastern more separated. This whole black plastron is more characteristic of a Russian I think, but since there wasn’t a picture of the carapace, I wasn’t sure.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hey there,
The Western Hermann’s will have more of two distinct black strips on either side, Eastern more separated. This whole black plastron is more characteristic of a Russian I think, but since there wasn’t a picture of the carapace, I wasn’t sure.
I guess we shall find out

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
@Julian32122 hopefully some others with more experience than me may chime in, but your Russian looks too young to tell gender. It looks like it might be male to me, but I think it’s too young.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Rule of thumb for testudos is - slot shaped cloaca = male, star or asterisk shape = female. This one looks slot shaped?????

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
So Russian tortoises sometimes unveil themselves as male as young as a year (by flashing their boy bits during a soak) but in general they all look female at this size... Until some don't. What we mean by this is, they hatch looking androgenous or all female. Then one day the males sprout a giant long male tail.
If a Russian tortoise still looks female at 450g weight, she is most likely actually a female.

Here is an article I wrote a while back that has photos of females and males and how to tell: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...sex-of-your-russian-tortoise-with-pics.87181/