My tortoise is eating a minimal amount and sleeping lots.

l-y-n-z

Location (City and/or State)
Ramsgate
Hi all. I am a new tortoise parent and have recently adopted a 60 year old North African Spur Thighed tortoise. I have only had him for around four weeks, living in a large enclosure in our garden. I have noticed since the dramatic change of weather and the arrival of Autumn he doesn’t appear to be eating as much of his food and is rather lethargic throughout the day. He will come out of his house and bask in the sun, or lay outside in overcast weather, and sleeps. When I take him out of his enclosure for his run around he is very active but not that interested in eating apart from fake dandelion heads. I know he is coming up for his hibernation period and want to know whether it is natural for them to start almost “winding down” during autumn, eating less and sleeping more? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Unkapunka

Osage City
I have a 2yr. old sully. He's doing the same thing. Sleeping all the time, not eating as much

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all. I am a new tortoise parent and have recently adopted a 60 year old North African Spur Thighed tortoise. I have only had him for around four weeks, living in a large enclosure in our garden. I have noticed since the dramatic change of weather and the arrival of Autumn he doesn’t appear to be eating as much of his food and is rather lethargic throughout the day. He will come out of his house and bask in the sun, or lay outside in overcast weather, and sleeps. When I take him out of his enclosure for his run around he is very active but not that interested in eating apart from fake dandelion heads. I know he is coming up for his hibernation period and want to know whether it is natural for them to start almost “winding down” during autumn, eating less and sleeping more? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Read this:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 2yr. old sully. He's doing the same thing. Sleeping all the time, not eating as much
Something is wrong and you need to figure out what. Sulcatas don't hibernate, and they should not be winding down.